Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching for a post on here but have had no luck fining it, I am looking for a device that will open and close a standard curtain rod with the pull cord on the one side. My wife really wants the curtains to open to revile the screen behind and I am in no way going to say no to that request as its a neat idea.

I saw a post a long time ago about some cheep motors that attach directly to the pull cord and they were fairly inexpensive. Has anyone seen or know where a person can get them?

·
Registered
2,242 Posts

I reported on this little gem a long long time ago. The company is SmartHome and it costs $99.

I always thought this could be used for a remote controlled masking system too... but like many of the DIY things we use, it works surprisingly well for what it was actually made to do. Who woulda figured?! ;)

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Thats exactly want I want. I will get one soon and report back on how well it works for me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looks like a good item to me at a reasonable price as well . Wonder if it is 120AC, if so prehaps it could be plugged in to a plug in remote controlled switch.
Two other items along the same line, years back PM Mag offered the plans on how to build (DIY) drape closing system.
The other is that one of the larger drapery rod and assoc. accessories mfg offered an off the shelf system. It may have been Kirsch (sic?) Remember it was costly at the time

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Looks like a good item to me at a reasonable price as well . Wonder if it is 120AC, if so prehaps it could be plugged in to a plug in remote controlled switch.
Two other items along the same line, years back PM Mag offered the plans on how to build (DIY) drape closing system.
The other is that one of the larger drapery rod and assoc. accessories mfg offered an off the shelf system. It may have been Kirsch (sic?) Remember it was costly at the time
Yes it works on standard outlet power, you can either plug it in or hardwire it.

I know others have built drape systems or screen masking systems and honestly unless a person just wants to build one and likes engineering motors and gears, it isn't any easier or cheaper, in fact it costs more and is harder than this little gem!

You can get a remote for it too, or use a universal remote with it. Something like a Pronto can control anything, even an AC unit if it has a remote. So with the push of a button it can power on your Projector, turn on your AVR, DVD player or cable box, and if you have a remote curtain system it will open the curtains. If you're lights have a remote control, it can even dim the lights... anything that works via remote, even if it's RF will work with the Pronto. The only exception is Blue Tooth devices.

I don't have a Pronto, but I've seen Tritonman's in action and it has to be the slickest and most powerful remote I have ever seen. He even has his entire DVD library programmed in, complete with cover art and in color! He has a Sony Multi-disc DVD player, actually two of them. All he has to do is press a movie and it turns on his system, switches inputs on his AVR, changes the Sony Multi-disc player to the right slot... and the movie comes up! Pretty much if you can think it up you can make a macro to do it with the Pronto!

R

·
0 Posts
looks like pronto got updated abit Philips Pronto TSU9600 however dont think i will be buying one they cost close to 2000 dollars here for one hehe :coocoo::dumbcrazy:

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
looks like pronto got updated abit Philips Pronto TSU9600 however dont think i will be buying one they cost close to 2000 dollars here for one hehe :coocoo::dumbcrazy:
The new one is crazy in price. You can pick up a TSU7500 for around $200 and it does all the same things.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi,

Here is another choice, in case you don't already have a curtain rod assembly; Power Curtain offers different lengths of motorized curatin rods with IR control & a wall mount control panel. Click on their model CL-800 @ the web link below

www.powercurtain.com

From what I have read, folks need to plan for curtain fabric "stack back". Drapery material & the carriers take up a certain amount of space of the rod's overall length.

John :yikes:

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not yet, waiting on some other things I need to do first in that room. I have to build a riser in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Greetings,

I read a post by AVS member "whyeye" recently & he was talking about a new product coming from BTX Inc, model "TUMO Xcel" that is supposed to be a lower cost AC motorized curtain track. Where the powercurtain.com model CL800 product uses a wire driven master carriers, as I understand it the TUMO will use a timing belt drive -- that should make quieter. A later TUMO version will have programable presets (current BTX products don't have that abiltity). I've asked for a quote on a 12 ft version, no responce as yet.
Below is the link to the TUMO product:

http://www.btxinc.com/products/drapery/tumo_xcel.htm

John :jump:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts