Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to have my projector 24" from the ceiling, so the projected image clears a 72" ceiling fan in my den. To achieve this, I first designed a drop down box to put the projector in. When I went in the attic to start the install I realized the main air condition duct is dead center over where I needed the box to be. So, scrap that idea and back to the drawing board. My new design has the projector at ceiling height until I want to use it. Then a two button remote is used to drop it the 24 inches via a linear actuator.

Here are the parts ready to install.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I used part of an old Da-lite universal projector mount and my buddy Dave, fabricator extraordinaire, CNC machined an adapter for the linear actuator. It is powered by a 12 volt supply I got on Ebay. Originally intended to power CCT cameras. I will add a RF remote to trigger the actuator down and back up again.

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
Nice! Post some pics when it's done and in.

Bryan

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice! Post some pics when it's done and in.

Bryan
I will post pictures and a video of the process and outcome. I will be working on this today between waiting on my sick wife who has strep and our grandson who is spending the day here.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Nicely done, & sorry to hear about your wife feeling under the weather. Strep can really wipe you out. Contagious X 24 hr's after start of Abx. We hope she gets well soon.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is the basic actuator mount with the controller. Once in the attic it will be cross braced with 2x4's and square drive stainless screws.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is the projector in the down position.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Looks awesome! :T BTW consider yourself extremely lucky to have a friend with CNC machining access... I am jealous!

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks awesome! :T BTW consider yourself extremely lucky to have a friend with CNC machining access... I am jealous!
I'm very lucky that his love of robotics had him install a $25K CNC machine in his garage. Also, a lathe and a metal brake. He also built three CNC lasers with different gases and power levels. It is wicked to watch a laser you can not see cut 2" material. Then one with the light touch to take a photograph and burn it into wood.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I got to play with CNC laser beds in school and loved it. There are so many applications in the DIY world you definitely can't beat having something like that. Then for the real heavy lifting, a CNC mill and lathe. Sounds like he's got all the bases covered. Again, I am very jealous! Looking forward to the final install of your lift build!

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Install complete and working great.

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
Very nice install and looks like a great result!

Bryan

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's extremely cool. It's also nice to see someone with a ceiling fan in their theater room, I love a good ceiling fan.
Not just a ceiling fan but a 72" ceiling fan. My room is a multi-purpose den/home theater. I dream of the day I can add on a stand alone home theater room. That is when I go BIG.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.