Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I will have a while before I go out and buy anything but I am trying to figure what my budget needs to be on a good motorized projection screen.

So the only things I do know are that I Will most likely hope to get atleast a 16:9 screen. The screen will drop from the ceiling and will not be recessed. Now I would prefer to have a 2.35/2.40:1 ratio but I have not seen those ratios in Motorized screens.

Now I have seen the SI screens which are basically black screens or something and those are amazing but expensive. Now for me the viewing will be done mainly at night so I wont need the black screen but I do like the fact that the screen doesn't need bars or anything when not viewing the same ratio as the screen.

My seating distance will be 12ft roughly and thats about it. I dont have a projector yet and was just trying to see some of the options out there to see what I need for a budget for the screen.

I have seen a few projectors in the past which were quite nice but technology changes so I will wait on that one. I plan on buying the screen by Xmas this year.

Now there are other things I liked about the Si screens but what other options are out there for viewing 70% of movies at night and 30% at dusk?

Just trying to see what else there is before selling myself on something that looked good when nothing else was there to compare.

Lastly there isn't a budget set yet so I am really just trying to see what I need first then try and budget from there.

Thanks,

Forgot to add. Are all the motorized screens AT also?

My screen position would be in front of my mains and center so I would need for it to be AT also. Lastly is there a way for the screen to be connected to another position so the screen doesn't move?

Meaning are there a few tension rods or something for the bottom of the screen to attach to the floor or something to keep it from moving so much?

I know the screen will move in some of the heavy bass scenes because of my subs but what about a flow of air for some reason. Just wondering.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
The main thing you'll want in a motorized screen is a tab tensioned screen. This helps keep it from curling and waving. It will also keep the screen from moving from the sound emanating from your content. Another thing you should consider is making the room as dark as possible when viewing. Blackout shades work very well. As for the 2.35 format, I'm certain that several manufacturers make them in this format. I know that Elite does and they are a cost conscious option.

With regards to Screen Innovations, they do not offer a Black Diamond screen in a retractable format. I believe they are fixed screen only. And to be honest, I'm not fond of that particular product for a couple reasons. One, they won't send me samples. Two, the samples that I covertly received don't perform anywhere near their published specifications and they have one of the hardest blue pushes I've seen in any commercial material out there. If you want to spend that kind of money, there are a lot better options out there. dnp offers a Supernova flex screen. And that company isn't afraid to send their materials out for independent testing. Another option to consider would be Da-Lite's High Power screen. Keep in mind that projector placement is vital to achieve the screen's potential.

But to backtrack a bit, if you set up your environment properly, the high end - niche screens won't be necessary. Control the light and a matte white screen works best. Need a bump in perceived contrast? Then go with one of the light gray or high contrast options.

You've got awhile to think about it. :T

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well for the most part I will be able to control the lighting by watching movies at night time. I will be adding a thick curtain of sorts in the future or window blocks.

That DNP screen was very nice. The top of the line masking was awesome for the CIH. I liked the Flex screen alot. It wasn't an AT screen though so I wondered if there are any still or no?

And the Dalite screens I will have to call them because they dont show anything in the 235.1 or bigger ratio that I can see on their website.

Now the AT screen might not be a worry in the end because my L/R will be placed further apart then the screen and the center will most likely be lower then screen but not sure on that one. The center might be just a few inches in the same are behind the screen.

I think a 10ft CIH wide screen is as big as I can go and even the 9ft wide screen Prof and I chatted about awhile back might be the same size I would stick with. Some where around there.

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well how far are most peoples screens from the floor when using the 2.35 or 2.40:1 CIH screens?

I probably wont have to worry about it but we will see. My center is pretty small so I am sure I cant make the room.

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Seymour. I was going to go with them when I thought I was going to be able to build a dedicated room and have a AT screen but now things have changed.

Is there any preference on screens color?

I just want to have the darkest blacks I can with in reason since I wont be masking anything for those times when I watch 1.85 movies:( Machete.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Is there any preference on screens color?

I just want to have the darkest blacks I can with in reason since I wont be masking anything for those times when I watch 1.85 movies:(
Need a bump in perceived contrast? Then go with one of the light gray or high contrast options.
:T

1 - 8 of 8 Posts