Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in reading for a while I've surmised that Elite's Spectrum series screens are decent but very prone to folds/waves (correct me if I'm wrong). I am putting together my HT (Epson 8350 PJ) and it will be used 99% movies, and some sports. Basically 10 hrs per week use maybe.

If I do a fixed screen I have to custom build it because I have a ledge 7" wide that runs the perimeter of the room about 4.5 feet high that leaves 43 inches to the ceiling. The screen would have to fit in the space between the ledge and the ceiling or hung by the ledge in some fashion.

The motorized screen solves all my problems because it allows for the size I'm looking for (84-100 inches) and placement (hung from ceiling avoiding ledge issue).

Question: Will it damage the screen or motor/unit to leave the screen (almost) permanently in the down position? I can't think of a reason it would but wanted to check in here. Don't know if the lack of tension would mess with the fabric or anything.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
In fairness it isn't a problem with Elite screens or any particular brand. All non-tab tensioned retractable screens will eventually develop waves. Even motorized screens. The only way to prevent it 100% is to go with a tab tensioned screen.

As far as a custom screen, most screen companies will sell you screen material and you can make the frame yourself. They may have some size restrictions but for the most part you can make custom sizes outside of what they sell. Stewart will make a screen any size you want, but be prepared to pay a premium price.

It shouldn't damage the screen or motor if you leave it up or down most of the time, but again you will eventually get waves.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok Thanks.

Really I'm most concerned about damaging the screen/unit by leaving it permanently in the down-position.

·
Registered
303 Posts
You can still mount a normal screen even with the ledge.

Just build out part of the wall above that ledge with studs and mount the screen to that.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Leaving a motorized screen down all the time will likely result in the edges curling in more, while leaving it up can result in more waves. The waves tend to get stretched out more if you leave it down, but your edges will often curl some and any irregularites in the material will usually show up in large diagonal waves.

Lots of our commercial applications use motorized screens. Some stay up and some stay down. Both end up with some problems over time. For meeting rooms and presentations it is not as much of an issue as a theater.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Leonard, these waves are caused by the screen material literally sagging/stretching under it's own weight correct?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
IME it can be from that or from being rolled up. I have seen many screens that stay up most of the time with ripples that are the circumference of the wrap. Other larger waves occur after stretching due to the uneven nature of the material. Any material that big will have some irregularities. That is why stretched screens are inherently better. Most large screens do curl at the edges as well.

Bill's comment is dead on. So I guess that means the question is "do you feel lucky?" :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is there a way to fix the wave screen? The motorized screen at our school is having that problem and I just wondering if we could fix it. Appreciate any help or suggestions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts