Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious as to what movies don't just have a lot of bass, but actually can realistically threaten subs that are running kind of hot or don't have a rumble filter. The only two that come to mind are War of the Worlds (lightning) and Master and Commander (cannonball). As I'm still learning the limits of my new DIY subs this is of interest to me.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Add The Haunting DTS and Titan A.E. to that list. War of the Worlds is a level above anythng else I have heard though, last time I gave that a good run it broke the filament in my light globe and made 2 vents fall out of the ceiling. I have 2 DIY sonotube subs with shiva 12inch drivers tuned to 17hz (in room response is flat to 10hz), a BFD with a mean house curve, and a Behringer A500 amp (2x250w) to power them. I have never bottomed the subs out, the amp clips on WOTW DTS at 6 or 7db below reference level whereas most other movies I have tried wont clip the sub amp until 2 or 3 below ref level.

Harry.

·
Moderator Emeritus
606 Posts
The Haunting at DTS reference level is downright malicious.

·
Moderator Emeritus
606 Posts
I think my sub can dish out any reference level bass with ease.

I'm the one who is threatened!

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
Definitely agree with "The Haunting" DTS..Even better than WOTW in my opinion.I shudder every time those very low bass tones come on..
I can't see the sub. cone, but I would imagine that it's at it's maximum excursion..

Another DVD that will really test your sub is the DTS version of "U-571"..

·
Senior Shackster
365 Posts
You might want to check out The Incredibles. Here are several scenes that are extremely challenging to a sub.

Mr. Incredible Stops Train; 108 dB: Listen to the initial train impact. A good subwoofer will make you feel each track lifting and breaking under Mr. Incredible’s feet.

Syndrome Traps Mr. Incredible With Force Field; 104-107 dB: Lots of signal content in the 35 Hz region, with sub-harmonics at 17 Hz. Some subs emphasize the content at 35hz, but a really good subwoofer will allow you to feel the pressure of the 17hz sub harmonic content.

Transport Car Lands On Guards; 107 dB: This scene contains an enormous amount of energy in the 20-30 Hz region. You should feel the pressure wave as the car lands on the guards.

Rocket Blast Blows Out of Tunnel; 105-108 dB: Talk about infrasonics - this sequence has strong content right down to 5 Hz!. With this scene my subwoofers blew out two panes of glass from a window in my listening room, and they did so without so much as a grunt of stress.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Another movie with very impressive bass that may have you reaching for the volume is Fantastic 4 (DTS).... (space storm, missile chase)

yes, I'm the other person on this planet that loves this film!...

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Although the following movies don't have long sustained subwoofer material, the placement and extreme volume of the sub 20Hz material may have you checking your subwoofer for damage.

The Mask
The Abyss
The Hunt For Red October
Under Seige
Silence Of The lambs
And the original test surround movie: Top Gun

·
Senior Shackster
365 Posts
Although the following movies don't have long sustained subwoofer material, the placement and extreme volume of the sub 20Hz material may have you checking your subwoofer for damage.

The Mask
The Abyss
The Hunt For Red October
Under Seige
Silence Of The lambs
And the original test surround movie: Top Gun
I can tell you for sure that The Hunt for Red October does not have bass below 20hz at all. However it does contain very powerful sub harmonic transients that extend to 25hz.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Watched Monster House last night, add that to the list.

Haven't watched Batman for a while but I remember the scene where they are duelling on the ice with glaciers creaking sounded awesome.

Thanks for that link Jerm.

·
Registered
428 Posts
The first plot below is War of the Worlds DTS lightening sequence, the strike 6th from the bottom, about 2/3 of the way up the graph is the one that might kill your sub.

The second graph is the Jumbo Jet crash in chapter 7. Notice the bits of pink below 5hz. :holycow:

These graph start at the bottom and end at the top.

Hakka.

Attachments

·
Registered
428 Posts
I bottomed out my Shiva subs for the first time the other night. I was watching Lucky # Slevin, in chapter 2 when Goodcat raises the pistol to Slevin's head. I had red lights blinking on the amp and a horrible clacking sound from the subs. At first I thought it might be the amp clipping but I played it again laying on the floor looking at the drivers and they were moving about 40mm (16mm xmax one way).

The AVR was set at -12.5db, I have a 13db housecurve so the bottom end was close to ref level.

I have decided to build 2 more subs for another 6db headroom.

Here is a waterfall plot of the scene

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts