Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been talking about moving my gear from this glorified closet of a room to a much larger room since last year....well the time has come and I for one can't be much happier. Now I'm asking for suggestions, recommendations and just plain old advice on several areas such as speaker placement, seating placement and last but not least acoustical treatments. Which is something that is on my list this tax season I'm forgoing any AV upgrades this year for acoustical treatment so I will be talking to you guys over a Gik real soon.

The included PDF will have all the measurements of the new room and if I forgot one let me know and I will get that ASAP.

Thank You

Tony.

Attachments

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,288 Posts
Looks like you have a nice ceiling height in that room.

Is it possible to wall off the utility room? That would let us get away from the angled entry way and keep things more symmetric by facing the left wall of your drawing - assuming you can cover the bay window.

Bryan

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Bryan,

Walling off the utility permanently is something the wife won't go for, it's really a small spare bedroom that has been turned into a storage area. If your asking is it possible to cover the bay window with treatments that shouldn't be an issue. I think I could get away with a temporary wall using something like GIK's screen panel this would keep the wife happy, the house was built in 1905 so the ceiling height is 9' in every room.

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,288 Posts
OK. That would still likely be the best way to go. I just don't see the other end working and having to shift everything left when the wall is only 7'7" to start with - then having walkway issues with speakers by the entry, etc.

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I want to be sure I'm following along you suggest to put the gear towards the bay window I'm I correct? Okay if going that route I will have to take into account the old school radiator that runs 7' across the window.

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,288 Posts
Can you build a false wall?

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay I failed to communicate that this room is in the front part of the house and it's street side so I doubt that the good city of Chicago would allow me to get away with building a false wall that blocks the windows along with my wife, treatments that block that area not an issue but a wall would be a no go and not to mention my insurance won't be happy.

Here again this failure is mine for not communicating this to you Bryan sorry for any confusion.

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,288 Posts
No problem. From the outside, it wouldn't look any different - just like a window with curtains on it.

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I might have missed this but is the radiator still in use?
Yes it is and it's an old cast iron radiator the guy I bought the house from said that it weighs in the neighborhood of 300 pounds.

Bryan I talked to the wife about doing the false wall and she's not cool with it, these are the day's I wish I was single :devil::bigsmile:
Question what if I setup along the long wall?

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bump.

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,288 Posts
You can set up facing the top wall of the sketch certainly. It just severely limits the combination of viewing distance, distance behind you for good bass response, and how big the surround field would be.

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay scratch that ideal, since the wife has banned me from building any walls I know I may have mentioned this earlier if were to use the screen panel you guys offer will that be better than nothing at all? Along those lines I also thought if I where to give the TV console about 2' of clearance from the radiator that it would limit any chance of heat getting my gear since the radiator is still in perfect working order.

I like the setup you suggested an would like to make it work unfortunately there will have to be compromises made IE no building of walls. So even with that would that be considered the ideal placement for this room?

Thank You

Tony.

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,288 Posts
Given the restrictions, I think facing the window wall would be your best option. The Screens won't help replicate even boundary gain but how much of an impact that is will depend on how close to the walls you end up being with the speakers. It will certainly help in terms of reflections though as long as we can do panels on the other side.

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Given the restrictions, I think facing the window wall would be your best option. The Screens won't help replicate even boundary gain but how much of an impact that is will depend on how close to the walls you end up being with the speakers. It will certainly help in terms of reflections though as long as we can do panels on the other side.

Okay so by the window it is thank you Bryan, I plan on installing the necessary treatments for this room. My original plan was to buy a new receiver once the Feds cut my check but after reading the information that's out there by Ethan Winer and on GIK's site it made sense. So I rather spend some money on treatments this year and the AVR next year.

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,288 Posts
Broadband bass absorbers in the front right corner. Tri Traps would minimize the footprint required.

Screens (2) in the opening on the left to help with balancing reflections in the opening.

242 panels on the right wall for reflections and decay time control.

2-3 thick absorbers like Monsters on the rear wall to address bass cancellations off of the rear wall.

Pending how close the speakers end up to the front wall - you may need a couple of panels there too. Ideally, the entire front wall would be dead but that would be a DIY project.

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When you say broadband bass absorbers are you talking about the 244 panels? The fronts would be between 3' to 4' off the front wall.

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,288 Posts
Tri Traps for the front corners.

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got it, thank you. Sorry for the many questions, that back right corner would it be left empty since 2 monster bass traps are going on the back wall? and hopefully the last question I have being that the front speakers will be 3' to 4' off that front wall would it still be a good ideal to place some 242 panels there? Once again sorry for the many questions just want to cover my bases so I can order all I need at one time.

Thank You

Tony.

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,288 Posts
No problem.

The middle of the rear wall is more important Would love to do 3 back there but not really enough space to do it right.

Front wall - from a boundary interaction perspective, 4' should mitigate that need. Still though, maybe a DIY solution using 2" OC703 and cloth would be good to do for preventing reflections from the surrounds from contaminating the front soundstage - if that will pass WAF.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts