Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys..

Well it's time for a new screen..again! :rolleyesno:
My trusty Dulux Matte White screen has served me well, but it's time to update and go for the ultimate..an AT screen!

I recently had samples of the Centre Stage XD and the new 4K fabrics sent to me by Chris from SeymourAV..
I had concerns about being able to see the weave on the XD material because my viewing distance is only 9' from an 8'6" wide CIH screen..
The 4K fabric can be viewed as close as 6' without seeing any weave..

To cut a long story short, the XD won out hands down for my situation..The whites were absolutely brilliant..best I've ever seen and the overall colour balance was very good, particularly skin tones..:T
The real surprise was that I couldn't see any texture with the XD even from 8' away!!

Anyway, this thread is not so much about the AT material, but more about the framing construction I'm going to use..
There are a number of ways of making a timber frame to attach material for a screen to and I've tried some of them over the years with varying success..

The simplest method is to just screw an angle bracket in each corner and your done..
The problem with this method is that unless you use very think brackets, they can flex and bend while you're moving the frame around..
I have seen two brackets used in each corner and that does make a strong joint, but then you have the problem of very little room in the corners to staple down your fabric..

Stretcher bars are also used to make a frame and they do make for a very strong corner joint..But you can't always find the right size lengths or width for a particular screen size..

Biscuit joiners are also used when joining mitre joints together..These work well, but you have to buy the tools to make these joints..which is an added expense for a one off job!

So I've come up with an idea that can be used on any size timber that is very simple (no special tools needed) to set up and makes for a very strong corner joint..Also it leaves the back and the front face of the corners completely free of any brackets..

Basically the mitred corners will be pinned together, using two different size screws..More on this later..

I should add that this may not be anything new, but so far I haven't seen it used in making a screen frame..

I will be starting to make my screen frame shortly, so I'll include photos as I go along..

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Re: Moving to the Ultimate..

Please do! I so wanted to do an AT, it just wasn't the time. Can't wait to see your results!

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I had to put the new screen build on hold, because we had several days over 40C.! Not the nicest weather to be working in!! :sweat:
It's now cooled down to about 34C. so I've been able to make a start..

In the meantime, the Centre Stage XD material had arrived and I started looking around for some suitable timber for the frame..
Where I live there is a choice of Pine or Pine!!..Absolutely no other timber in 4"x1".apart from Mahogany skirting boards, which is not suitable for my application..
The problem with Pine is that you could look over fifty pieces and find maybe five straight lengths!

However, I did find a material that is ideal for screen frames..It's a high density composite board, similar to MDF only it doesn't use Phenolic as the bonding agent..
It's called LOSP and only comes in plank form..It's very straight and true and not prone to twisting or warping..It cuts very easily leaving very clean cuts..
As an added bonus all the edges are slightly rounded, which makes it easier to wrap fabric over it..and it comes pre-painted!
Cost wise..about the same as Pine..An absolute winner!!

Yesterday I started on the cutting of the frame lengths...
This is what it looks like..

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

At the moment I'm making up a rough jig for drilling the 45 degree angle holes for bonding the mitred corners together..
More up dates later..

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Well I managed to finish the frame over the weekend and it all came together nicely..
The screw pinned mitred corners worked out well and it has made for a very strong joint..

This shot shows the the screw pins in position..

The faces of the individual lengths were painted before the corners were screw pinned and glued together..

This shot shows the screw pins recessed into the edges..It makes for a neat finish with nothing on the face or the back of the frame..

The finished frame ready for the Centre Stage XD material..

The timber for the borders has been cut and I hope today to fit the screen material to the frame..

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts

That screen is AT?! Wow those must be small holes! :gulp:

Did you end up making your own drilling jig, or did you use a dowling jig similar to the one below?

·
Registered
613 Posts

Very cool Prof. Will the screen remain flat or will you curve it?

How will you mount the speakers behind the screen?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Wow very cool! Do you have any close ups of the screen itself to show the weave/holes?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Nice! How did the screen mount to the frame? I saw you mention that it wraps around the frame. Did you wrap and then staple on the backside?

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

That screen is AT?! Wow those must be small holes! :gulp:
Yes Harp..they are incredibly small holes..When you hold it up to the light, it looks a slightly more closed weave than grille cloth!

Did you end up making your own drilling jig, or did you use a dowling jig similar to the one below?
I did make my own jig..It was simple but effective..

Very cool Prof. Will the screen remain flat or will you curve it?
Thanks Mark..The screen will remain flat..I get very little pin cushion effect..

How will you mount the speakers behind the screen?
I'm planning on making 3 separate platforms for the LCR speakers that will be secured to the front wall and the screen wall frame..

Wow very cool! Do you have any close ups of the screen itself to show the weave/holes?
Thanks skeeter..I don't have a closeup of this fabric at the moment, but I'll get a shot of it later today..

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice! How did the screen mount to the frame? I saw you mention that it wraps around the frame. Did you wrap and then staple on the backside?
Yes..Just wrapped over the frame and stapled on the back..
The fabric is quite stiff with no stretch and it does take quite a lot of effort to keep a good tension before stapling..

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is the best my camera can do..It's taken from about 10" away..
You still can't see the weave in this shot with the naked eye..It needs to be an ultra closeup to see it!

·
Registered
613 Posts
Most cameras won't pick up the weave at that distance. Our eyes are a little better there it seems, however you would be fine.

The fabric on the left is what my current screen weave is and the fabric on the right is the upgrade, soon.

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I installed the new screen yesterday and watched some HDTV on it last night..
I didn't watch any blu-rays as the screen is slightly larger and I have to re-set up the anamorphic system..

It was immediately apparent that the image was brighter than my old screen..it was like a few more lumens had been added to the projector..

Some colours looked brighter and more saturated, while others looked lighter and more natural..and skin tones looked very realistic..Whites were absolutely brilliant!!
Overall contrast is an improvement on my previous screen, with a nice sharp clean looking image..

One of my major concerns was whether I would be able to see any of the weave with the XD material, from my close viewing distance..The small samples didn't show any weave but I wasn't sure if that would change with the full size screen..
With a viewing distance of 9' from an 8'6" wide CIH screen I couldn't see any weave what so ever!!..:yay2: and a total absence of any moire effect..
I'm totally wrapped with this fabric! :D

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Most cameras won't pick up the weave at that distance. Our eyes are a little better there it seems, however you would be fine.

The fabric on the left is what my current screen weave is and the fabric on the right is the upgrade, soon.

Mark..Is that the OZ Screens AT material on the right?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts