Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! Love the forum! Looking to get some advice. I want to upgrade something in my system however I'm not sure where I would see the biggest difference if I were to upgrade something.

I'd like to give you guys a budget so you can make better recommendation but I'm not really sure what my budget is yet seeing as i'm a college student.

I'm in a hurry so I won't say much more but i'll update the post later if any of you need more information!

TV: 51 inch Samsung Plasma
AV Receiver: Denon E300
Front: BIC America DV62
Center: BIC America DV52C
Surround: Bic America DV32
Sub: Dayton 1200

Any and all input is welcome! Thanks much!
DanOpi

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
The biggest audio improvement would be to replace your speakers and sub. Without a budget, and a goal it is hard to say which route to go.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Agreed, speakers and sub first then receiver. Budget would be very helpful.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm hoping to sell the components i'm replacing and if I'm able to do that I'm looking at the $200-300 range. Whether it be the sub or front speakers or whatever else, i'm fine doing it piece by piece every few months.

The one suggestion I've heard so far is get 3 Wavecrest HVL 1's to replace my fronts and center which would run me $295. Thoughts?

Any other ideas?

Thanks for the quick responses guys!

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I know it's a low budget but that's why I want to upgrade piece by piece. I'm a college student and don't have a ton of free cash to spend just because I want to upgrade. That's the thing, I'm not necessarily unsatisfied with my system it's just I know I can do a lot better if I slowly build it up a little bit. I've been in a dorm while at school and in my bedroom at home these past two years and I'm moving into a house this fall so i'll actually have a living room to use this system.

That being said, would it be better to save up and get a bigger budget and not upgrade piece by piece? What budget would be "acceptable" to make a drastic difference?

As for the suggestions you gave... I've heard Chane talked about quite a bit on forums and audio sites. And I would love to replace my front left and right with towers so I don't need to find stands for my current ones. What's the difference between towers and bookshelf speakers? Do i still keep a center channel?

And the sub is a good idea too because when I first receiver my Dayton and hooked it up I expected a lot more than what it produced. I get some bass but it's nothing ridiculous that really hits that hard.

So let me know what direction I should take this!
Thanks for the quick responses guys!

edit: I have no problem buying used or refurb either. If anyone around me has anything there not using and would benefit my system I'd love to talk and see what we could work out! I live right outside the Twin Cities.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Generally towers will have better low end and as you say no need for stands. For now keeping the center until you can upgrade that to a matching Chane center would work.

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
Buying used or DIY can make your budget go even farther. If you are patient you could save up more money, and still upgrade in pieces to get some real nice upgrades... Ultimately it depends on how much you want to spend, and how nice of a setup you want. Personally, I would wait until you move to your new location and just save as much as you can. I would in the meantime try, and get a feel for what kind of sound you would like to have. Go to local HiFi Stores, and listen to what is available, and then read the reviews on the equipment you listened to. Then read reviews to find out what other speakers perform similarly to what you like. At that point I would start looking for used deals or DIY setups. If you look on Ebay make sure you also do an advanced search to see what they are normally selling for as prices fluctuate quite a bit, and you could pay more than you should. :T

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Buying used or DIY can make your budget go even farther. If you are patient you could save up more money, and still upgrade in pieces to get some real nice upgrades... Ultimately it depends on how much you want to spend, and how nice of a setup you want. Personally, I would wait until you move to your new location and just save as much as you can. I would in the meantime try, and get a feel for what kind of sound you would like to have. Go to local HiFi Stores, and listen to what is available, and then read the reviews on the equipment you listened to. Then read reviews to find out what other speakers perform similarly to what you like. At that point I would start looking for used deals or DIY setups. If you look on Ebay make sure you also do an advanced search to see what they are normally selling for as prices fluctuate quite a bit, and you could pay more than you should. :T
^^^ +1

·
Registered
192 Posts
That being said, would it be better to save up and get a bigger budget and not upgrade piece by piece? What budget would be "acceptable" to make a drastic difference?
YES. If you can set aside $1000 then you've got breathing room to get awesome mains (L, C, R, or just L, R if you are more music focused) and a modest sub, or good-modest mains and an awesome sub.

Trying to do bit by bit cheaply will result in a system populated by cheaper components. My way, you get a modest system with some future-proof components that will grow with your budget and aspirations.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/ele/5072970977.html
Actually found it in the classifies on here too! http://www.hometheatershack.com/for...ofers/124826-chase-home-theater-vs18-1-a.html

Overkill? Quality? From what I've read it seems to be alright but again I'm new to this so I'm not 100% sure. MSRP is close to 1100 or the site i found that maybe dated.

Can my receiver power it? (Stupid Question?)

I'm working this summer so i'll have some more cash, I was just curious what people think would make the biggest improvement in my system. If I have to save up some more that's fine. Just want to get an idea! I'd like to have a nice system for when I get my own permanent place which won't be for a few more years which is why i'm fine upgrading piece by piece.

Thanks much!

Edit:
Another one I found: http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/ele/5066156684.html

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
http://minneapolis.c...5072970977.html

Overkill? Quality? From what I've read it seems to be alright but again I'm new to this so I'm not 100% sure. MSRP is close to 1100 or the site i found that maybe dated.

Can my receiver power it? (Stupid Question?)

I'm working this summer so i'll have some more cash, I was just curious what people think would make the biggest improvement in my system. If I have to save up some more that's fine. Just want to get an idea! I'd like to have a nice system for when I get my own permanent place which won't be for a few more years which is why i'm fine upgrading piece by piece.

Thanks much!

Edit:
Another one I found: http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/ele/5066156684.html
1st link doesn't work. 2nd link is for a powered sub which should work if your receiver has sub outs.

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Another thing about towers is the usually have larger and/or more drivers. Many times they're more sensitive too. This normally provides a more dynamic speaker, and as Tony said, should play lower. If your going piece by piece, I'd save the most I can for the longest I could and get the most for what you've budgeted. The front 3 will contribute the most, and will change the sound the most. I'd set a budget and stick to it, unless you find a bag of money lol. The guys have you going the right way.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I want to set a budget including what I can get for the components I'm replacing. However I'm not sure what I would be able to get for any of them. Estimates?

Edit: Also noticed that Chase sub is passive so that won't work that well for me. Oops.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
I recommend keeping what you have.
Learn how to listen to your gear, and then learn how to listen for enjoyment.
Learn how to position the speakers and sub for the best possible sound in your room.
Learn to correctly use whatever is available in your AVR to EQ the system.
Learn how/what your AVR's various functions actually do.
Learn how to measure the sound in your room and to treat your room for reflections if necessary.

If you have to buy something now the one thing guaranteed to change the sound is the speakers.

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
I want to set a budget including what I can get for the components I'm replacing. However I'm not sure what I would be able to get for any of them. Estimates?

Edit: Also noticed that Chase sub is passive so that won't work that well for me. Oops.
Find what you want, and then save up for that piece...then sell the piece it replaced, and save up for the next upgrade. Look on what they have sold for on ebay under the advanced search, and you will see how much they are worth (make sure you select sold, and not completed).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
My first choice would be to get towers for my front speakers. What would be a nice pair to look/save for that would last me a couple years?

Also was told to try a 2 to 1 cable instead of a 1 to 1 on my Dayton Sub and I immediately noticed a difference. Just thought I'd mention this.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts