Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
JBL makes nice speakers, would be an upgrade from the BICs you have now but on that note I still think the Chanes would be better.
respectfully I have to say, I wouldn't trade mine for them.
I also agree with Charlie and going to BB. If nothing else, he'll be exposed to a variety of speakers, and their signatures.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #62 (Edited)
I'll go to BB and see what I think. As for my favorite artist... To be completely honest I don't have a "favorite". I love almost all types of music and can't even pick out a favorite genre. But I like Country, Acoustic (Singer Songwriter), EDM/Electronic, Rock, and some Rap/Hip Hop.

Found a few new prices/discounts on new speakers that would be shipped to me for free.

Klipsch R-28F at $180 each ($360 for pair)
Klipsch R-26F at $140 each ($280 for pair)
Klipsch R-25C at $100

Polk RTi A9 at $262.48 each ($524.96)
Polk RTi A7 at $174.98 each ($349.96)
Polk RTi A5 at $139.98 each ($279.96)
Polk TSx550T at $174.98 each (349.96)
Polk CSi A6 at $139.98
Polk CSi A4 at $87.48

These are very nice discounts from MSRP however I'm not sure on quality. Thoughts?

Thanks for all the help!

edit: From what i've read the Klipsch I hae above are pretty much the same speaker as their predecessor, the Icons. The Polk seems to be a quality speaker from what I've read.

·
Registered
918 Posts
What I've found:
JBL Studio Series S312BE ($400): http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/ele/5066508825.html
($300 for this set but one of them looks damaged: http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/ele/5066050321.html)

JBL S412PII ($500): http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/ele/5048944991.html
These JBL's are awesome and compare very well with the newest Chane A5rx-c's. For 12yrs the JBL Studio S312II (slightly newer version of the S312) were my main speakers. Recently I have been using the Chane A5rx-c as my mains. Listening side by side, there are differences that are barely noticeable, but couldn't really say one is an upgrade over the other (this is between the JBL S312II and the Chane A5rx-c).
Between these JBL's and the Chane A3rx-c...
....the quality of sound will be very similar (accurate sound reproduction,, very expansive sound field (very 3D (they don't sound like the audio is coming from 2 boxes in front of you, the audio is all around you)),, the instruments sound like they are in the room with you (accurate placements of instruments),, clear detailed mids & highs that raise the hair on your arms).
....the JBL's will sound more powerful (bass & sub bass will hit you hard (especially the JBL S412PII),, very clean bass sound, not boomy).

The JBL S412PII would be a noticeable improvement over the JBL S312. Get those if you can afford them.
The damaged center pieces on the JBL S312 shouldn't have any effect on sound.
These JBL's are very forgiving of room placement & toe-in, more so than many other speakers.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Good input Glenn. An owner of both! Perfect.
I would love to try a pair of s412's in my house. I read a review from a guy who bought a pair, and also owned a pair of B&W 805.(iirc). He said they were surprisingly quite similar. Not exactly the same, but especially considering the price, felt they were very close. My S312's, as Glenn mentioned put up a good 3d sound field that's had me double check to see if I wasn't in a surround mode.(in stereo).
I also like the Def-Techs. Klipsch usually represents good value too. Lots of options out there. Hit BB yet?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Haven't had time for best buy yet. Found a pair of DefTech BP6B's for $175 along with a ProCenter C2 for $50. The Bipolar speakers scare me though because i'm not sure I have enough room or the right acoustics. but for that price it's hard to pass up.

61 - 66 of 66 Posts