Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a MP-1r-KIT Acoustical measurement kit from the european site ISEMCON.

My question is:
Imagine that I whant only to allign the SoundPressureLevels (in terms of VOLUME)of my 5 speakers ... For this use do you think that my mic (MP-1r-KIT) is inappropriate? I need forcedly an SPL meter?

thank you,
actarus

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Looks like a good little test mic & mic-preamp kit . :T

You should be able to very effectively use this kit

> Plug this pre-amp into your current soundcard ( calibrate your computers' sc first ) and then it all with REW to see if your speakers need EQ .

> The Mic Kit Pre-Amp is already setup to allow one to balance speakers to each other (at 94db ) using a 1K tone .
> Therefore there's no reason to out & buy a SLM ( SPL Meter ) or any other test mic or soundcard ( that I can see ) .

> Your "Kit" comes with a calibration file , what format is it in ?
> If it is in a text file format , it may be usable by REW .

:sn:

·
Super Moderator
9,186 Posts

Imagine that I whant only to allign the SoundPressureLevels (in terms of VOLUME)of my 5 speakers ... For this use do you think that my mic (MP-1r-KIT) is inappropriate? I need forcedly an SPL meter?
I’m confused. How can it tell you measured SPL levels if it has no display?

Regards,
Wayne

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
> "zipped" MP-1r-KIT info

Wayne said:
I’m confused. How can it tell you measured SPL levels if it has no display?
> Simply put ; One calibrates the acoustic pickup level with the 94db LED seen on the preamps front face ( which is designed to light-up at 94 db ) .
> Cheap, cheerful ( & for many ), effective enough .

> There's another calibration step available, which is why I created the above link .

> A walk-through of the companies website is worthwhile browsing. :T

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
> Simply put ; One calibrates the acoustic pickup level with the 94db LED seen on the preamps front face ( which is designed to light-up at 94 db ) .
excuse me earlk ... I'm confused.

Correct me if I'm wrong:

An SPL meter like Galaxy CM-140 have an integrated display that say to me the REAL PRESSURE that my speakers are emitting.

My Mic has no display. You suggest to increase its preamp level until the red led light.

That's right. When the led lights up the mic system reach 94db ... BUT THIS IS NOT THE REAL PRESSURE IN THE LISTENING POINT!
I'm right?

this is not important for the REW's "SPL calibration procedure" ?

17-12-2011 16-32-31.jpg

thank you so much,
actarus

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
That's right. When the led lights up the mic system reach 94db ... BUT THIS IS NOT THE REAL PRESSURE IN THE LISTENING POINT!
> It is the real pressure at the listening point if that is where you placed the microphone ( I'm accepting that the manufacturer is correct in their claim of accuracy ) .
> Once you hit 94db on your preamp, enter that number into REWs calibration window ( for SPL ) .

> Their method is no less accurate than using a RadioShack Meter ( as far as I can see ) .

> It is also worth doing the manufacturers calibration , for -10 dbV .

<> :sn:

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Wayne said:
Wow, I wonder if it comes with a “hearing protection recommended when calibrating speakers” advisory...
> Yep ( I'm with you there Wayne ) ,

> A pure 1K tone at 94db is extremely annoying ( approaching "stupid-loud", IME ) and whenever implemented by myself for whatever reason , usually has me wondering when I'm going to blow something up ( & hey , I'm in the SR business ) .

> Personally, I'd just buy a cheap SLM & be done with it ( & save my hearing/sanity ) .

·
REW Author
6,711 Posts
I believe the 94dB LED is mainly intended for use with microphone calibrators stuck on the end of the mic, so no hearing protection required :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok Guys,
If I whant to do some calibration test with this mic ... what settings I've do choose in REW's SPL Calibration Procedure?

spl.png

thank you

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, Wayne...
My question is: If the settings in my image above are not matching the REAL settings on the meter ... what will be the result?
In other words the settings (buttons) in the image above MUST be the same actived on the meter?

With the CM140 is simple to verify this condition because the buttons on the meter are the same of the image above ... but with my other Mic (MP-1r-KIT) ... what are the right settings?

thank you.
actarus

1 - 14 of 14 Posts