1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mr. Speakers Headphones

No code has to be inserted here.

Wayne's Impressions

The Mad Dog and Alpha Dog headphones made by Mr. Speakers were my headphone find of the RMAF. They are made using modified Fostex magnetic-planar drivers and have all the quick responsiveness and detail you would expect from such a design. Both models sounded fantastic, with the Alpha dogs being a bit smoother and more refined. The high end really got my attention, very smooth, close enough to reference grade that I have been itching since then to be able to compare them to my home reference models.

The chambers of the Alpha Dogs are made using 3D printing technology with variable-sized micro-cavities in the thickness of the walls to prevent resonances. Each set goes through a hand-tuning process involving measurements and listening tests to tune transducer assemblies individually and for matching, and every employee of the company (5 at RMAF date), either a musician or audio professional, was trained to be able to pitch in on the tuning process. Mr. Speakers "Head-Master" Dan Clark assured me the production processes are scalable to meet demand as the company grows by following the "every employee a headphone tuner" model.

I listened first to the Mad Dogs and was instantly a fan. Then I moved on to the Alpha Dogs and was left drooling. This was the second day of RMAF. When I came back to the headphone area to finish off the last couple of hours on Sunday, I started there again, and as I moved along to other headphone stations, I returned after each listen to the Alpha Dogs for comparison. The Alpha Dogs had already become my new reference headphones.

The bass response was right-on smooth and deep with perhaps a slight emphasis, but barely noticeable. Bass response can be individually tuned using a chamber resonance adjustment screw, initially tuned for flat response at the factory with adjustment settings printed under the headband padding so one can easily get back to factory setting. Mids and highs - also smooth, tight, airy, snapdiddly fast, crisp without ever getting shrill. Soundstage and imaging were simply awesome. I listened to many a female vocalist on the extensive playlist avaibable for any sign of driver mismatching and image smearing or wandering that would ensue, and was treated to stable imaging that was flawless.

OK, have to stop raving about the phones or it will sound like I lost my objectivity. They made me feel like Dan had taken the best qualities of all my best headphone and speaker experiences and combined them into a single headphone design. Cabling can accommodate differential wiring, which I highly recommend (see my Sennheiser experience at RMAF).

·
Registered
165 Posts
I find these to be the most interesting. I've wanted to use a 3D printer to do the same thing for a pair of 3" "full range" speakers but the only printers around here use ABS or PLA and they seem a bit weak and would possibly colour the sound quite a bit. Was the material used ever mentioned?

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I have heard nothing but good things about these. A friend just received his pair and is raving like the dickens, and I trust his opinion very much. I hope to have a pair one day.

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I find these to be the most interesting. I've wanted to use a 3D printer to do the same thing for a pair of 3" "full range" speakers but the only printers around here use ABS or PLA and they seem a bit weak and would possibly colour the sound quite a bit. Was the material used ever mentioned?
Never asked. The "random cell structure" approach seems to be a big part of it.

I have heard nothing but good things about these. A friend just received his pair and is raving like the dickens, and I trust his opinion very much. I hope to have a pair one day.
I was hoping to get a pair to review, but they are selling so well that they cannot afford to send any out to reviewers.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Did they explain Very Bass Tuning system or show how it works? The website doesn't really go into detail on how that works at least I wasn't able to find out too much other than:

Very-Bass™ tuning system* allows precision bass tuning at the factory, while giving you freedom to dial the bass up, or down, to fit your tastes. Unlike other bass tuning approaches, there are no parts to loose, and it’s possible to restore the headphones to factory tuning*

·
Registered
192 Posts
seeing this thread makes me think. I am in the process of looking for a new set of headphones for my son. all be it it is to replace the dr. beats. i have to say i am not so happy with those as i have had to purchase 3 pairs for him as they all have had one issue or another. That said are the mad dogs an item that one would recommend for a teen. He would mostly use with an adapter for his ipod and for gaming at night. Music type he listens to is generally rock. So my final concern would be durability. He takes great care of the head phones he has and they still seem to all have a problem with one ear piece or both not playing sound. the last pair lasted the longest at just about 10 month. let me know your thoughts on this.

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is a threaded port arrangement in each ear piece with a friction-fit thumb screw which can be turned in or out to decrease or increase the amount of bass. The number of turns from fully seated for the factory setting for each ear is printed on a under the headband so factory setting can be easily restored.

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
seeing this thread makes me think. I am in the process of looking for a new set of headphones for my son. all be it it is to replace the dr. beats. i have to say i am not so happy with those as i have had to purchase 3 pairs for him as they all have had one issue or another. That said are the mad dogs an item that one would recommend for a teen. He would mostly use with an adapter for his ipod and for gaming at night. Music type he listens to is generally rock. So my final concern would be durability. He takes great care of the head phones he has and they still seem to all have a problem with one ear piece or both not playing sound. the last pair lasted the longest at just about 10 month. let me know your thoughts on this.
As I recall, they need quite a bit of power, might not be the best choice for an iPod. The sound is a fairly refined sound, pretty neutral, so a teen might not appreciate the lack of thunderous bass. Magnetic planner drivers should be durable technology, but that is only a guess. They seemed to be very well built, so with regular good care they should last a good long time.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I will have to see what they like for power. That was an initial concern. I believe I have seen a few headphone amplifiers. Let me know if anyone has experience the something like this.

http://www.parts-express.com/fiio-e07k-portable-headphone-amplifier-with-usb-dac--230-123

Or are these type amps not worth the investment.

I'm not worried about a over abundance of bass response as that is really not his thing. I showed him the posts here and picks about the mad dogs and he wants to give it a whirl but not sure if I'm barking up the wrong tree. I guess worst case scenario I get them and use them myself. Thoughts

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will have to see what they like for power. That was an initial concern. I believe I have seen a few headphone amplifiers. Let me know if anyone has experience the something like this.

http://www.parts-express.com/fiio-e07k-portable-headphone-amplifier-with-usb-dac--230-123

Or are these type amps not worth the investment.

I'm not worried about a over abundance of bass response as that is really not his thing. I showed him the posts here and picks about the mad dogs and he wants to give it a whirl but not sure if I'm barking up the wrong tree. I guess worst case scenario I get them and use them myself. Thoughts
It sounds like your son might actually be interested in good audio. The Mad Dogs would be an excellent choice for him. Power requirements: the FiiO products are excellent, and have good drive capability, so the model you are suggesting might be a super choice for the Mad Dogs. I have used the E10 amplifier, and it is great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts