Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

41 - 60 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Well I can tell you due to just finishing my third coat of spackle, 1st 6" knife then 8" knife then finally 10" knife. Also you can let it dry as long as you want between coatings it will set up better another trick is put a fan in the room to set it quicker just make sure you dont lay the spackle to thick or it will crack when drying. Good luck and my arms are beat!
Just wait untill you start sanding.:bigsmile:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Just finished sanding and yes my whole body is wrecked....Now getting ready for painting, trim, carpet, then installing all components.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Mudding aside, we did manage to get the ceiling up today! Quite a milestone since buddy and I were not looking forward to it. We put up a two-layer green-glue sheetrock sandwhich and it took most of the day. There was only the two of us and we didn't even use a lift! (I'm going to be sorrree in the morning!).

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I'm just in the process of finalizing my rear speaker placement before we drywall today. Does anyone know what the correct height for the speakers should be and also either the distance between the two rears on the back wall to each other? The sides I have between the two rows of seating.

Thanks!

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,288 Posts
Surround height is generally around 6-6.5' off the floor.

Do you have full freedom on the rear wall and are you just doing 5.1?

Bryan

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Thanks Byran - indeed I have full use of the back wall. I have all the wires run to a general area where they'll be and it's all wired for 7.1. The side speakers are limited to a certain area because of the entrance and equipment rack but the backs can be placed anywhere. This is where I had roughly marked them to go. The sides will actually be a little behind the middle of the two rows.

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,288 Posts
Good deal. I personally like to get the speakers lined up basically on the outside arm of the outermost seats as long as things are symmetric and not terribly cramped to the side walls. Maybe slightly closer together depending on the situation.

Bryan

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
So bring the back two a little closer together? Seating will be left corner of that riser all the way to the right wall so not very symmetrical at all :)

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,288 Posts
Tough call. If not symmetric, then the ones close to the wall will suffer more if not to that side. I wouldn't go much farther apart though. I'd probably leave them about as is.

Bryan

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Hmm. I'm wondering then if I should just wire in for 5.1 and have just two speakers further spaced on the rear wall. Would there be a big difference between rear 5.1 and 7.1 given the layout of my room and seating position? Granted most of the time we (more like I) will be sitting dead center of the screen anyway.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
Quick progress update:

Drywall is taking a lot longer than expected due to the double layers and green glue. We should hopefully get all walls completed Monday afternoon. The plasterers are due in Monday night to start mudding and taping.

Entrance way:

When the mudders have been and gone I'll take some higher res pics with my Canon 5D Mk2 DSLR and post them here.

I decided to go with a fixed 110" Elite screen instead of trying to convert my 106" retractable. Eventually I'll upgrade to a nice Carada or something but for now the Elite will do until then. We will be building out the screen and speaker columns hopefully on Tuesday and then will start painting later in the week. Still have to choose my color scheme though but right now I'm leaning towards a nice burgundy or blue with black trim..

Cheers.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
I need to start thinking about my screen and speaker columns and ordering some GOM. Questions:

1. Are there any other providers other than fabricmate.com?

2. Columns are going to be 6'(h) x 18"(w) which will house my speakers. I'm putting GOM on the entire fronts and so need to build a panel covered in GOM and attach using either magnets or grill guides. Any tips on doing this, not quite sure where to start..

Anything else I need to consider?

Edit: For reference this is the design I am replicating (this is Rob's HT over on AVS forum http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=897055):

Cheers.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Nice work :T You are really moving along on this project!!

Matt
Thanks Matt. This is end of week 3 (well tomorrow will be) so yeah not too bad. Once drywall is up that's the worst of it I think. Our plan is to get mudding, A/C, screen wall and paint next week. After that carpet and acoustic treatments. So I think we have at least two more weeks left. I haven't even thought about chairs yet! My first row is only 9' 6" wide and I'd like to put some kind of 4 seat configuration in there if I could. Any suggestions?

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts
I need to start thinking about my screen and speaker columns and ordering some GOM. Questions:

1. Are there any other providers other than fabricmate.com?

2. Columns are going to be 6'(h) x 18"(w) which will house my speakers. I'm putting GOM on the entire fronts and so need to build a panel covered in GOM and attach using either magnets or grill guides. Any tips on doing this, not quite sure where to start..

Anything else I need to consider?

Edit: For reference this is the design I am replicating (this is Rob's HT over on AVS forum http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=897055):

Cheers.
I'm afraid that is not a good design layout..for several reasons..

Enclosing speakers in columns like that with solid sides is going to present all sorts of problems..
For one, they are too close to the side walls, and they're fitted in a cavity..which will cause all sorts of resonances..
Also,there doesn't even seem to be enough room to angle the speakers..

If this is exactly what you plan on doing..particularly in reference to the speakers being so close to the side walls and in a solid enclosure, then I can only advise you to change your design..

To have columns at the side of the screen like that, the screen will need to be smaller and the columns wider, so you can move your speakers away from the side walls..
The other thing is the columns should not have solid sides, but be constructed as a frame with the GOM covering all sides..

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Hey Prof - the columns in the image above are, I believe, only 12" wide. I planned on having 18-20" columns which would allow me to move my speakers closer to the screen and also allow to angle them (my speakers are about 8" wide so that gives me 10-12" gap between the outer walls. Also in the sample image the owner drywalled the inside of each column and I was thinking GOM on both sides instead of just the front, but had not set this in stone. I was unsure what effect having GOM on both sides would have, although I sense better than drywall, but would this be needed if I was able to get away with a 10-12" gap from the wall?

Considering the above do you think it will be okay?

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Looks like it's gonna be a pretty nice theater i'm getting great ideas from your build. Can't wait untill i finally have the chance turn my room into a theater rather then just a room with a screen and speakers. Great job!

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts
Hey Prof - the columns in the image above are, I believe, only 12" wide. I planned on having 18-20" columns which would allow me to move my speakers closer to the screen and also allow to angle them (my speakers are about 8" wide so that gives me 10-12" gap between the outer walls. Also in the sample image the owner drywalled the inside of each column and I was thinking GOM on both sides instead of just the front, but had not set this in stone. I was unsure what effect having GOM on both sides would have, although I sense better than drywall, but would this be needed if I was able to get away with a 10-12" gap from the wall?

Considering the above do you think it will be okay?
That's better but still not ideal..The recognized space between speakers and side walls is about 2' minimum..
I would definitely have GOM on all three sides of the column..unless the columns are going to be right up against the side walls, in which case there's not much point of having GOM on the wall side..

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,288 Posts
In addition, the hard sides are forming a cavity which will have a ton of resonances of it's own. If you can do it so it's more open, that would work much better - maybe just a frame with a shelf?

PM me on the GOM.

Bryan

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Thanks guys. Is there perhaps some treatments I can put around the speakers to help limit any resonance there? I really want to go with this design and don't want my speakers in the open or free standing.

41 - 60 of 177 Posts