Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

61 - 80 of 177 Posts

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,288 Posts
They don't have to be free standing. You can do the same design but make the side and top of the 'box' that the speakers are in just frame and cloth.

If you have to keep the box, fill it completely with absorption.

Bryan

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #64 (Edited)
Mudders are here! Yippee! Was able to sneak in some "before" shots of my buddy's oh-so-awesome drywall work. Will post some "after" shots when the mudders leave.

Does everyone recommend something like Silentseal(?) for filling all the gaps on the other side of the wall (the garage space wall)?

Equipment rack and fridge is going here:

Control panel will have a hinged door which will be painted to match whatever color I choose for the wall:

Back of room with riser:

View from riser looking out of room into entrance:

View outside garage looking in:

Insteon dimmer switch bank (Track, Rope, Sconces, Screen - walkway dimmer is hidden in garage room):

Insteon 8 button keypadlinc:

Tomorrow we start building the stage and screen wall. Fun!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #65 (Edited)
Inside rack is now built. Question: we left a small gap at the back, bottom of the cavity mainly for the heat from the fridge to go somewhere. Necessary or not? The walls of the rack are MDF then green glue then 5/8 drywall.

Stage being built today..

Thinking of getting this framed and put outside the entrance. It's this or a movie poster either side of the door way.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I've got Insteon elsewhere in the house. Not sure yet for my theater lighting control.. The LED indicators on the dimmers might be a bit distracting..

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
One completed stage. Working on the columns for the speakers now.

Thinking about this for the color scheme:

Going with possibly a two-tone paint scheme: Black ceiling, red walls 2/3, bottom 3rd gray. Having a hard time with it though because ideally I need something to contrast the crown molding on the walls and ceiling and that means something like a white satin molding, which might be too bright. Still need to give it some thought.. Is there a way I can take a picture of my room and superimpose different colors on it?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Hey Matt - how did you do that? Way cool! If I upload a better angle can you do it again, or tell me how you did it?

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Sure I can do it again... It was just a real quick job... no texture or anything fancy. I used the path tool in Photoshop to take out the walls and used that as a template to make a panel the same shape with the new colors.

Matt

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Side columns built. Sub is a tight fit -- might have to downsize the sub!

Tomorrow we should get the top column (center speaker) completed and A/V rack shelves. Then we're pretty much done until paint!

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Oh, by the way... very nice colors. :) Very similar to my HT. It gives a nice warm feel.

Matt

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Thanks Matt.

BTW does anyone have any experience with rope light on a black ceiling? I heard the light spill is not that great but wondering if it's bad enough to not even bother with it.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I have not tired it but a buddy of mine did and said it did not work to well. The dark color just adsorbed the light.

Matt

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #79 (Edited)
So today we planned on finishing construction, leaving just paint, A/C and carpet remaining but building the columns for the screen wall took us all day. We spent a lot of time deliberating over whether to GOM the entire column surface or dry wall parts of it and just leave a large enough area around the speakers to GOM later. So I have some questions: What do you recommend we do? If we GOM the entire columns (most expensive route) how is the fabric applied? Is it easier to build seperate panels and attach them at various parts of the columns? Is it better to staple the fabric around the columns? Any help appreciated as myself and buddy are at a complete loss as to what to do next!

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts
What I would do if it were my columns is to staple GOM or Speaker cloth to inner sides of the columns..and make up removable framed panels of GOM for the fronts..
That way you have easy access to the speakers..
I wouldn't use any solid material anywhere on the columns..

61 - 80 of 177 Posts