Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

81 - 100 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
There was a 40% off sale at Joann Fabric and I was able to get enough speaker cloth for just $30! And it looks fine to me, even better when the entire wall and frame is painted black. Can the same cloth be used for wall treatments/panels? I'm guessing it can.. Now it's just a case of making the panels. I'm off to HD to pick up a miter box and some furring strips to get the ball rolling. Have about 9 panels to make just for the wall!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
I've been thinking about seating in general and would love to hear the thoughts of others on this. My intention was always to have the front row Berkline recliners with the only problem that it can seat 3 (I only have 9' width available). On the back row riser I've got my desk which only takes up about 55" width. Remember, this is going to be part HT part work area (I'm a photographer and this is where I'll be doing editing etc.). So on the back row I was thinking of putting two classic theater seats so if my kids want a few friends over the room can seat a max of 5 people. Then I saw these chairs on Craigslist and they are in excellent condition and the seller wants $75 for both. Should even fit in with my color scheme (I'm going theater red/black/gray).

What do you think?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Just a quick update. Room has been primed and ceiling painted and first coat on lower part of wall. Tonight we finish the paint entirely. Then it's a week off and we resume trim the following weekend followed by carpet. So we're about 2 weeks from finishing now.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Excitng! Have you thought which movie you want to screen first? Remember to leave a 3/8" gap below your baseboard trim to tuck the carpet under ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,288 Posts
We used bean bags in front of the first row for a long time when our kids were at home. Those were the ones their friends always fought to get rather than a nice, comfy recliner...

Bryan

·
Registered
136 Posts
I went with bean bags for the kids. Not exactly "home theater" or whatever but I have to say that they are REALLY comfortable. Got them f4rom a lady on the east coast that makes them to order. Very nice quality!!!

http://www.heavenlybeanbags.com/
Great this is what I was thinking about doing for the kids instead of getting a couch. Two bean bags and a couple of nice chairs, thanks for the link.:bigsmile:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Vent: well it seems like everything has been going wrong since last week. From the A/C being a pain to install and then losing the remote (had to order a new one online -- still isn't here so we're working with no A/C and it's 90deg outside!) to walls getting scratched, paint blistering and various parts of drywall falling off here and there. Very frustrating! For these reasons I'm taking a week off and not even going in the room at all. Seems like everytime I touch something it breaks! Ever had those days? /vent

·
Registered
136 Posts
The best thing is to walk away for a bit, let the ideas stew in your head and go back with a purpose and finish. It has been 6years for me thats cause I had to dig out the basement.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
The best thing is to walk away for a bit, let the ideas stew in your head and go back with a purpose and finish. It has been 6years for me thats cause I had to dig out the basement.
Ya, I can relate to the home theater construction blues. : )
You guys are getting it done fast even with the set backs
and so far it looks great!

Matt
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
285 Posts
ugggh. been there. I was in the final throws of my home theater.......

Working till 2am on a "school night". Ok, I'll just tack this screen holder block in place and call it a night.

Time to swap the short nails for the long ones in the nail gun......

Hold block of wood in place (pinching the block and the stud it was getting nailed to with one hand, firing with the other). BLAM! :hissyfit: OUCH!!!

There was apparently two long nails left in the very front of the gun (they don't slide out real nice when there is only a few) so they were an inch too long for the application. Shot a nail right into the pad of left middle finger--soo far that it slammed the underside of my finger nail. Man that smarts.. I still have the black mark on my fingernail (its about half grown out) and my theater has been done since Feb.
:rolleyesno:

Could always be worse, A guy I work with is missing a finger from a table saw.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Wow, got the call from Lowes today regarding the carpet - that $97 installation fee they advertise? Try more like $600! Looks like I'm either doing it myself or at least putting in the tack strips so it gets the installation price down a bit. Can't believe how much more the installation fee is. Is carpet installation that pricey for a HT?

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Vent: well it seems like everything has been going wrong since last week. From the A/C being a pain to install and then losing the remote (had to order a new one online -- still isn't here so we're working with no A/C and it's 90deg outside!) to walls getting scratched, paint blistering and various parts of drywall falling off here and there. Very frustrating! For these reasons I'm taking a week off and not even going in the room at all. Seems like everytime I touch something it breaks! Ever had those days? /vent
Yep just like everyone else we have all been there, it happens. I haven't done my theater room yet but i did gut and remodel (move walls, tear out walls, basically opened up the house) my entire house except for the room that will be my theater. But somtimes it seems in almost every project you take one step forward and two back. Best bet is just walk away for a bit and when you come back you'll be refreshed and respirited then things will just come together. Good luck and you've done an awesome job on the project with what i see is a well deserved break. :sn::T

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Thanks everyone for the kind and motivating words. I took the last few days off and went back in the room this morning to touch up some spackle so I could sand and paint later tonight. To think that because of a few stupid mistakes and rushing it created all this extra work. Oh well! Anyway tonight I at least intend to get the touch ups done and then off to HD tomorrow to get all the trim. Our intentions are to get the trim all done by this weekend. As a reward for my patience I went and picked up a new 7.2ch receiver and some surround speakers yesterday. So all is good! :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Thought I'd update with some recent pics (note the red is actually a deep burgundy color and darker than in these pics -- it's called "Red Theatre" by Sherwin Williams, and I LOVE it!):

Entrance way looking into the HT. The plan is to put a poster on each side of the wall and the spot lights will illuminate them. I also have to put another dimmer switch on the wall because these are way too bright when turned on.

Insteon keypad:

Sconces:

Surround speaker (1 of 4):

A/C unit (note still have to touch up where I had to spackle over the scratches made when installing the unit):

Last night I discovered a major issue with the A/C unit, in that the drainage pipe got squished when we ran the pipes through the wall. The water was draining out of the front of the unit and down the wall, which is pretty bad. The problem is there is very little room for maneuver because the pipes have been sealed up so we're going to have to carefully take it off the bracket and jiggle it around until we can seat the drainage pipe correctly.

Will post more pics when trim goes up this weekend.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
WOW, coming along really nice!!! :T

Matt
Thanks Matt! Things are slowly starting to take shape. I wish the carpet was in though as that'll be a huge transformation. Speaking of which I was shocked to learn from Lowes that they say I need 372 sq/ft of carpet for a 202 sq/ft room! I can understand the back riser and stage need a bit of cutting here and there but a 170sq/ft. difference! :coocoo:

81 - 100 of 177 Posts