Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

101 - 120 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Ok, so dilemma time. Here's a pic of the two-tone color scheme:

I was going to go with all black carpet on the stage and dark gray on the main floor including riser. Now I'm thinking just all black, contrasted with a semi-gloss/silk black baseboard. What do you think?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Just a couple of low-res pics of the trim we installed tonight. Tomorrow we're finishing up the door trim and A/V rack. I'll take more pics then.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
So today is the day to finally go order my carpet. I now know what style I want, I have a price (which is a LOT more than I budgeted) and I have the color in mind... sort of. So I'm undecided whether to go dark gray for main and all black for stage, or all black with pattern.

Here's two examples (from some forum members over at AVS) of the colors:

Dark gray with black stage:

All black (same carpet and pattern):

And here's a higher res of my HT.

I think both dark gray and black pattern will work (and maybe solid black on the stage) but which would be better?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Wow, thanks Matt -- that definitely helped with my decision! It's pretty hard to tell what the black looks like because it's, well, so black! But at the same token I wasn't too fond of the gray either. In the end I ordered plain black for the stage and the patterned black for the remainder of the room. This will keep with the black ceiling and match the dark gray on the walls better I think.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Funny, my wife and I liked the black and the patterned black as well! Your room looks GREAT!!

Matt
Thanks Matt! Looks like we both have good taste! :)

Just thought I'd give an update, although I have no latest pics I'll try and take some tonight or tomorrow. Basically it's been really slow because my buddy who was helping me throughout has had to return to his regular job (a fulltime dad!) so we've been working on it whenever we can in the evenings. Last week we only had two evenings free to work on it. It feels like the room hasn't progressed that much but we're making progress and there is light at the end of the tunnel. The carpet was ordered last week and I'll be purchasing the chairs hopefully by end of this week. So really we've got until the carpet is installed to finish up the little jobs which is about 7 days. Here's what we have remaining:

Prior to carpet:

Complete A/V rack - hopefully today
Install remaining crown molding
Cover control panel with door
Touch up paint on screenwall (it might need a full coat), walls and trim
Clean up

Prior to or after carpet:

Finish speaker column grills
Complete entrance door trim, floor and baseboard

After carpet:

Erect screen
Install chairs
Acoustic treatment

So as you can see the list really is not that long and we should finally be done max 10 days from now.

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,288 Posts
Light at the end of the tunnel indeed. Almost there. It'll be great to see it when it's all finished.

Bryan

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Oh one more thing, we tested the crown with the rope light (incandescent from Lowes) and the light spill onto the ceiling wasn't that great. Is there a better, dimmable rope light out there that gives a better light spill on a black ceiling?

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,288 Posts
Did you apply the 'cheat'? Try tin-foil laying in the tray bottom and wall side to help focus all of the light up and out.

Bryan

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,288 Posts
Might still not be as much as you want but it definitely concentrates the light from the full perimeter of the rope up and out.

Bryan

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
Thanks Bryan. I also think one of the mistakes we made was putting the crown too close to the ceiling, leaving only a 2" gap. I wasn't sure if the crown should cover up the wall/ceiling seam or not, so at the time we elected to put the crown so the seam is barely visible. When I get home I'll stuff some foil into the molding and raise the rope up a bit so it's not sitting in the bottom of the molding. I'll report back my results...

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Thanks Bryan. I also think one of the mistakes we made was putting the crown too close to the ceiling, leaving only a 2" gap. I wasn't sure if the crown should cover up the wall/ceiling seam or not, so at the time we elected to put the crown so the seam is barely visible. When I get home I'll stuff some foil into the molding and raise the rope up a bit so it's not sitting in the bottom of the molding. I'll report back my results...

Cheers.
I would be very interested to hear the results. If it works I am going to have to do it to my room.

Matt

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,288 Posts
I usually recommend leaving as much gap as the crown extends out from the wall or maybe even more depending on your preference. Get as much foil in there as you can - wall side, crown side, under the rope - as long as you can't see the foil on the wall.

Bryan

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
So last night I tried the foil trick but I really didn't see much difference to be honest. I may try the double up trick and see if that's any better...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #120 (Edited)
Quick update and a few pics. Hopefully I'll be done with the trim tonight. I got some good clean up done since it's trash day tomorrow so was able to clean up the room pretty good. I also got the shelves painted and installed. Here's the thing with the shelves: I'm happy with how they look but I don't think they'll stand the test of time. I mean, I can only imagine pulling components in and out and scratching the surface of the shelves, after all they are just MDF and painted with a black satin. Does anyone know if there are any companies that can cut to size some decent laminate shelves of some kind?

Fridge was installed, finally! I went through 3 damaged fridges before finding one that was undamaged. The guy at HD said they had about 10 or so that had some kind of damage. They were only $130 each and they look quite fragile. Not sure how long these things will last, oh well!

Pics!

Entrance that still needs trim and touch up.

Rack and trim (wall needs touch up).

Bryan, if you're reading this you can see how close the crown is to the ceiling. I think we put it way to close to get any kind of light displacement from the rope.

101 - 120 of 177 Posts