Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Denon AVR-1604 receiver and Definitive center, front, back speakers and a subwoofer. Audio components are a TV, Blu-ray, Amazon fire TV and a Wii. The TV is connected through a TOSLink that splits the HDMI signal into optical/HDMI (no HDMI on receiver). The Blu-ray is connected through coaxial, and the Wii through simple red/white AV plugs.

The sound from the center speaker and subwoofer is great, but the front speakers are muffled. This happens for all components listed above. I thought the speakers were blown, but when I switched out the right/left with the center, they sound great from the center speaker connector (and the center speaker sounds muffled from the right/left connector on the receiver). I tried new speaker wire and also tried the "B" connectors on the receiver, which have never been used. I still get the same muffled sound from the front speakers.

Any ideas on what could be causing this? Maybe a setting I missed on the receiver setup? Is it common for only some connectors to fail on a receiver while others work fine?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I switch to STEREO, the sounds you expect from the center speaker (voices, etc.) come from the front speakers and are muffled.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Correct. In Dolby Pro Logic mode, the center speaker sounds great but the front speakers are muffled. When I switch to Stereo mode, no sound comes from the center speaker at all, and the front speakers carry the sound you'd expect to hear from the center speaker (voices, etc.) but still sound muffled. The switch to stereo makes no difference in the quality of the front speaker sound.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts