Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm setting up a home theater. There seems to be a limited number of better multi channel amps. I am currently leaning toward an ATI 6007. I have not heard it as yet, but I will and when I do this will determine if it stays on list.
My question is any recommendations for multi channel amp.
Any feedback on the ATI 6007. Looking for more up to date info.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Hi: Don't have specific experience with that particular model, but ATI has a well-deserved reputation for making quality amps. The best value in amps, in my opinion ( and many others who have used them), is Emotiva.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Hi PB. I don't have experience with the ATI but I am sure someone here does. I can say that Emotiva amps seem to be a good choice at a reasonable price so it may be something else to consider. https://emotiva.com/

Vidiot 33 beat me to it.....:T

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Could also consider used. I picked up a couple of very nice used amps for very reasonable prices.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Having had many different surround amps those in your budget range would be a used Anthem or Emotiva XPR line. The Anthem line is the most transparent and accurate, but Emotiva gear is equally robust.

·
Registered
57 Posts
While this level of amp is out of my league it does raise an interesting question. Which will offer the most performance, the $8K multi-channel ATI or somethinmg like four Emotiva XPR-2 amps? Trying both setups would be the only way to know. Its only money! :spend: LOL!

·
Banned
76 Posts
I have a Pioneer SC-25 and I use the mains of the amp to feed the tweets. I use the pre-outs to feed a Yamaha surround amp that has 6 channel in and use those outputs to feed the lows. The Yamaha is more than adequate to power the lower frequencies and the setup gives me the ability to tri-amp and bi-amp the fronts and get more power overall. There are several older power amp models out there that can take separate channel inputs. Its a simple solution that doesn't break the bank.

·
Registered
57 Posts
That doesn't say much for ATI if that were there case. I suspect there is a difference.
How would one really know? Look at it this way. The 6000 series is the best that ATI has to offer ...and the the multi channel design has to stuff a lot into a limited space. ATI is known as making pro quality gear and this line is not exactly affordable.. Two 20 Amp lines! Whew! now that's some current capability!

Emotiva on the other hand is one of the value leaders in the market. The XPA is their attempt at a high end offering. Their two channel is $2376 cheaper than the ATI 2 ch.

So it comes down to several two channel amps vs. a multi-channel. Maybe a 2 ch vs. 2 ch battle in a dedicated hi end 2 channel system might reveal the real truth? However, in a dedicated home theater system playing movies how would the four 2 channels fair against the multi channel?

Its one of those questions that can only be answered by actually comparing things. Also, Emotiva was just thrown out there...maybe there are other good performing 2 ch amps that might fit the bill also? Either way, the ATI sounds like an absolutely amazing amp that many would love to have. The Emotiva is equally amazing in what they offer in the XPR for the price. The specs for both lines are off the charts! Many would love amps like this in our systems. However, some don't agree that Emotiva belongs in the discussion.

I myself would love to have the money and time to answer this one! Would throw some other brands in the mix also to let the ears decide.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Can't say I've heard the ATI amps but have heard some of the Emotiva stuff and it's quite good for the money.
Also, for the money, certain pro audio amps can be hard to beat.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Unless you are going to use a stand alone pre/pro, chances are any AVR that has preouts for external amplification will also have built-in amplifiers that have plentiful output power.
If you are going to use the front end of an AVR at least give it a chance before wasting money on unnecessary amps.
If the AVR is unsatisfactory on its own amps can always be added later.

·
Banned
76 Posts
In my case I wanted to bi-amp and tri-amp my speakers. The additional 6 channel amp cost me under 300$ and suited my purpose. Why do you need a multi-channel amp?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I believe in the near future there will be a market for Av processors. Just processor no amps. They change so rapidly. Current processors have a self life of only 18 months max. After that something newer big better is out. Most people will get a longer period of time out of their unit. By three years you have a relic.
So my thinking is spend your money on the back end e.g.:speakers & amps, possibly cables ( this one is minefield). Your looking to processor, projector,blu-ray player to turn over more commonly.
The future is 4K.

·
Banned
76 Posts
Its really about input. 4K may be the future. Blu ray video is good. Audio may not be so good. SACD is good. DTS is good. Great only really happens when all the ducks are lined up. A fast computer on the input is really the way to go. There are no limits with a fast CPU and DAC. Keeping components separate is not consumer friendly. Its hard enough for many to hook up 6 or 7 or 9 speakers (never mind ATMOS!). It all makes me want to go back to my tube amp and turntable and maybe a nice floral arrangement centrepiece to look at. Its not easy.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
I don't see AV processors becoming mainstream (affordable) compared to AVRs at all.
I think Marantz is the last mass market manufacturer to keep a processor in the lineup.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Yamaha also has a stand alone processor, but both the Marantz and the Yamaha costs far more than their top of the line receivers. Here's to hoping we see more affordable processors in the near future.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Here is how I see it.

Separates have always been a company's more expensive top offering in technology, design, construction, etc.

Companies like Emotiva for example built their business on affordable separates. However, so far their Pre/Pro have not been cutting edge and some of their amps don't impress many in the small Audiophile community. Of course their customers don't agree.

One has to draw the line and define where you stand.

If one is willing to spend $8K on a seven channel amp, how much are you willing to spend on a preamp? There are $8K-$20K preamps out there! or will a $5k, $2.5K, or $539 preamp be good enough? Garbage in Garbage out right? Why mate a $539 preamp with an $8K amp?

So, the lesson is.....if one wants to chase the A/V game and have the latest and greatest features EVERY year, it will cost!

1) Don't spend money on a top amp if the cheap receiver or Pre/Pro you plan to use to drive it does not have the needed signal and resolution that a top Pre/Pro would have.

2) Don't buy a top amp and Pre/Pro just to sell the Pre/Pro in two years at a huge loss because you want the latest features. Chances are you are going to want another expensive top Pre/Pro?

Do find a middle road where PRICE, PERFORMANCE, and UPGRADE path makes fiscal sense.
- Some will spend $2.5K on a Pre/Pro and $8K on a 7 ch amp. $10.5K
- Some will spend $5K on a Pre/Pro and $1.5K on a 7 ch amp. $6.5K
- Some will spend $2.5k on a Pre/Pro and $2.5K on a 7 ch amp. $5K
- Some will spend $1K on a receiver and $1.5K on a 7 ch amp. $2.5K

Which system performs the best? Which system is the better value? Which system is cheaper to upgrade to the latest and greatest.

Do what makes sense to YOU and YOUR budget! If saving money and 4K are important to you....don't JUMP on the bandwagon right away. Keep what you have for a year or so more and let the market develop.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts