Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of any software/disks which can test individual speakers? REW sends out only mono signal. It's a pain having to disconnnect/reconnect speaker wires in order to test them individually.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
I believe if your laptop has an HDMI port you can use ASIO4All and get individual speaker signals but don't quote me on that. Of course your AVR needs HDMI support as well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^^^ Thanks, I'll check it out.

Using windows 8, and desktop is connected to my receiver via HDMI. There must be stuff out there which can communicate via basic dolby digital or whatnot?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
REW 5.01 Rel17 has ASIO4All support. You're all set.
Got it to work!

Took some trial and error (have to highlight the hdmi device in the ASIO4ALL control panel within REW, then reboot REW for it to recongize it)....HDMI can be fussy that way.

Thanks a lot!

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
BTW your question leads me to another. Using HDMI with ASIO how does one generate a Full System full range sample?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Does this mean that whit REW 5.01 Rel17 it is possible to control what channel you send the test signal, including the LFE channel?
That would for sure save a lot of work when measuring!

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Does this mean that whit REW 5.01 Rel17 it is possible to control what channel you send the test signal, including the LFE channel?
That would for sure save a lot of work when measuring!
Research Info Only Alert - No Practical Experience (yet)

I'd say yes based on this article "REW 101 v3.12" By AustinJerry over on AVS - Page 33 - Item 7 which states:

7. In the Output box, select HD Audio HDMI out 1. This configures the first output channel (the left front speaker). Note: On some systems, a full eight channels will be available for output. You will still select the first channel for now.
That is the basis of my assumption. I'm still unclear as to how one would select all channels for a full system sweep.

·
Registered
24 Posts
BTW your question leads me to another. Using HDMI with ASIO how does one generate a Full System full range sample?
It seemed that only individual speakers were available in the drop down box, and next time I use it, I will check if there's a way to test all the speakers at the same time.

The only software I found which can test speakers individually or all at once is this:

Multi-Channel & Multi-Tone Audio Frequency Sweep Generator
[link removed]

It's pretty spartan but it works. I don't know how useful it is for measurements though because it doesn't provide results, just tones.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
He provides some other software on that link as well, maybe that can provide measurement results. Will see...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts