Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just discovered REW and it is a fantastic tool.

I joined because I have a problem. Everything seems to work EXCEPT taking multiple measurements. On the first measurement, I set the levels and I go from 0 hz to 5000 hz with 1M samples which takes 21.8 seconds. It works great and gives me an nice SPL curve.

When I try to do a second measurement, it immediately says 95% complete, and within 1 second, it displays a new graph with no data. Same thing for all subsequent measurements.

If I close the program and start over, I get one good measurement and then it stops working correctly.

I am running Windows 10 on a Lenovo Yoga 3 laptop and I'm using an external USB soundcard (Behringer U-PHORIA UM2). REW V5.17 Beta 11.

Rob
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,711 Posts
Bit mystifying. Please look in the log files (their location is shown in the About REW dialog) to see if any errors have been logged. You could try removing preferences to see if that helps (Preferences -> Delete preferences and shut down). You will need to reselect the audio input and output when you start REW up again.

Which REW installer did you use?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The log file looks like this:
Nov 01, 2016 9:14:17 PM roomeqwizard.RoomEQ_Wizard main
INFO: REW V5.17 Beta 11 running JRE 1.8.0_102 32-bit on Windows 10
Nov 01, 2016 9:14:20 PM com.synthbot.jasiohost.AsioDriver <clinit>
INFO: Loaded jasiohost.dll

There is another file named:
roomeq_wizard0.log.txt.lck
but is it empty.

The installer was:
REW_windows_5_17_beta11_with_JRE.exe

I did the "Delete Preferences and Shutdown" procedure as you suggested.
When I restarted REW, I again set up my USB sound box as the input/output.

It now works. I made several measurements and they all worked. I just used a 0-300 hz frequency range so I will check a larger range later ... when the family is not in the house :) But resetting the preferences seems to have solved the problem. I will post again if the problem occurs again.

Thanks for the help and a super great tool !

Rob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
New Information
The problem came back after several measurements so I continued to observe what might be different between measurements and I found an interesting (and bizarre) scenario.

After resetting the preferences again, everything worked for several measurements. I changed the frequency range and sample lengths 128k - 1M and everything continued to work for multiple measurements.

I then opened the "Levels" window from the top menu bar and did another measurement and it worked the first time. The second time I tried the measurement, the progress bar jumped to 95% and in less that a second the graph appeared with no data. Same thing for the third and subsequent measurements. THEN I CLOSED THE "LEVELS" WINDOW and the measurements started working again (without resetting preferences).

So there is some sort of weird interaction between the measurement algorithm (which also displays levels) and an open "Levels" window.

Knowing this, I can get the measurements I want by closing the "Levels" window during measurments, but this IS strange behavior :)

Rob
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top