Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
...are running if not finished. The boxes, 3/4" MDF, are about 65"X35"X12" (HWD); an internal divider creates 2 6-cubic-foot cavities. The front and bottom plates are double layer, and there must be about 50 pounds of screws in each box!

I added lots of front-to-back braces and covered about all the internal surfaces with 1-1/2" plastic foam.

Used 8g. wire...actually quad-14g....per pole, unbroken back to the amp.

The left-right planks are anchor plates to push the left and right sides against the wall. Each box has 4 screws anchoring it to the 2X6 studs; I used 1-1/4" camper-mounting tape on the boxes' backs against the wall.

I've been using 4 SC300s in my main system until about a month ago; I've mounted 4 newer drivers in the boxes for initial break-in...maybe c. 50 hours...before I add the older 2 drivers per box.

I have a Crown CDi 2000 (1000 Watts per channel into 2 Ohms [measured at 1KHz]) to drive the 2-Ohm loads, so I think I'll have plenty of power; the Outlaw 770 is driving the 4-Ohm loads now.

Will be using REW to measure responses, room nodes, etc., and the Crown's EQs and the crossovers (and maybe EQs, too) in my dbx DriveRackPA to get the response where I want it, which is substantial energy in the 14 - 60Hz octaves.

I recently bought a pair of new SVS PC-Ultras. These gave me a dose of LOW-bass energy and quality :bigsmile: I've never experienced previously; right now I can only hope my S-SWs are up to the challenge.

More later.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Nice!!!
The box seems like it's been very good built :bigsmile:
TY; actually I feel they're somewhat of a compromise--I would have used 1" MDF if I could have had it sawed as I did the 3/4" stuff at Home Depot. (The compromises included being able to move them about while I built them. :whew: )

I can always add layers of 3/4" to stiffen it, but I'm pretty sure that won't be necessary.

I felt the front/back stiffness...that is, preventing the frontplate from resonating much...was most important; that's why each includes almost 2-dozen 1-1/2"-square sticks and an across-the-middle wall.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
WOW! Impressive work! :T

Seeing the meticulous job on bracing, I doubt you will ever need to add another layer of MDF to strengthen your box.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got them completely installed, wired, and running yesterday. Haven't started to figure out the Crown's EQs. As I suspected, I'll definitely have to come up with a new way to balance the 2 different feeds for music v. HT use, as way it is now*, the HT level is just starting (more, MORE, MORE, I want MORE!!!!) while the level for music is already too high. I think a pair of pots wired to distribute the 2 different input voltages will be required at the frontend of the amp.

(That's my cockapoop Bandita inspecting my cleanup job.)

* I've defined NO subwoofers in both my discplayers so all bass info in the LFE channels appears in the main-L/Rs (or wherever each's BMS sends it).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mike, I have no info on them except that their free-air resonance is about 20Hz, the impedance is 8 Ohms, and the designer says they're designed to be woofers that'll sound good to about 300Hz. I started using them at the recommendation of Jeffrey Glowacki, Sonic Craft's founder and the designer of not only the world's best-for-the-money 6-1/2" bass/MR driver...

...but also this bass driver. (The 2 shown here now live in the 4-driver SW system.) You might e-mail SC and ask for info. [email protected]

In any event, SC has no more and they're hard to find.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
What a tiny speaker, almost as small as room height :dancebanana:

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Well, yes, but its replacement will be TWELVE drivers high (and without bass drivers)! That frontplate will be 6-3/4 feet high. :yes:
:raped:

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
:rofl:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Finally got around to downloading the SystemArchitect software that drives the Crown EQs and more and did some measuring (using REW) and EQing. I used a sweep of 14 - 60Hz and I applied 4 - 5 of the 2000's 8 parametric EQs within that range. Got the sweeps looking much flatter and with substantial energy in that bottom half-octave, but I was too tired to listen much last nite. I'll figure out how to make and post some before-and-after plots, soon.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Justin, there are electrical outlets low on those walls; I didn't want to have to do without them. I'll soon be spiking the boxes to the concrete floor; that'll reduce the weight carried by the wall studs, not that I'm worried about it. :rolleyes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts