Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short (please don't ask for more right now - I am losing it after this) my dual ED 19ov.02 LLT sono build just wont work. I am not handy and made too many errors that added up and ruined the build.

I am trying to salvage it my making 2 smaller sealed sonos that I may co-locate to get more headroom or spread it they are strong enough.

I just need some numbers run to see if this is feasible and what the output would look like.

my tubes are about 24.2 internal diamater, ed's own a7s-400 is 4 cu feet and has 1300 watts. I would like to get it a bit lower into the high teens and theirs only goes to 22 pre-eq.

What do the output numbers look like for this woofer in 4'cu with 1300w?

Can a bigger enclosure let it go a bit lower or just EQ?

Is there anyway to get it to the high teens? eq2? Can an EQ2 and a reckhorn b1 be run in sequence to Dual ep2500 (the reckhorn there just to boost the signal from the reciever to the pro-amp if needed).

Finally can a standard 15amp circuit even possibly run 2 x1300w for these two and maybe a buttkicker amp as well?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just really want to save SOME of the money I put into this!

What do the numbers for the 19ov.02 look like in 4'cu with 1300 watts? Would slightly bigger help to get any lower before EQ?

I might just co-locate them then add a ported sub in another corner -OR- Buy a 12'cu foot enclosure tuned to 17 with 600 watts each. Would that provide more output that 2 sealed subs above and a ported a5-350?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I could take my 2 tubes, cut them down - place one down firing and one upfiring sealed back to back (not bi-polar mut each sealed like mktheater had and run them with 600-650 from an ep2500 then add a porter sub on the other side of the room. My concerns with this are:

1. Will audyssey multiEQ xt mess up this odd combo (basically one sub with 2 18" woofer and another possibly single 15" ported)

2. does the EP2500 need a line level booster like the b1? if so does running the b1 and the eq2 inline to the ep2500 present problems?

My other idea is run them as 2 sealed non-colacated and get a buttkicker to add more feeling to the low octaves... I am SO frustated. Any advice if movies are all I care about 98% of the time?

Basically I can spend $1000...my options:

1. collocated up/down firing sealed 19Ov.02's and a a5-350
2. 2 non-collocated 19ov.02 and a buttkicker
3. 2 non-collocated 19ov.02 ported and tuned to 17hz in about 6'cu each
4. 1 co-located dual 19ov.02 in 12'cu to and save $200

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They cant be salvaged... I simply dont have the patience to make it better or the skill.

I have 2 24.2" (internally) sonos that are TALL - 17' cu internally tuned to 15. I planned to cut them down to the needed size, pull out the port somehow (the flair isn't moving), slap a board on the top, seal the hole off then put the bottom on and the woofer - if they were to be up and down firing I would use thicher board and longer nails ect.

If I keep my cost down on this then I can afford to fix a VERY leaky door which will help with preasurization by a TON (room has an "open" door that suck and is huge, windows and a closet with a bad leaky door).

My concern in making them sealed is, will they do low enough? Can I (or do I need to) run a reckhorn b1 AND an eq2 into an ep2500 without over processing the signal? Finally would using mismatched subs be a problem with audyssey if I decided to go that way.

I could seal them and not collocate and just run them without a ported but I am worried about low level ouput.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Goonstopper, I just wanted to say that we all started with little knowledge and skill{of which I still represent} and sometimes it get's frustrating. It sounds like you are getting stressed and maybe if you just take a break and then come back to it a little later it might help. I have been where you are and it seemed to help me to do that. To me it's all about haveing a fun hobby and enjoying the process but if it ends up stressing me out it's time for a break. I hope you don't feel like I am out of line and if so I don't mean to be.....Good luck...........:wave:

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
+1 with TC. , I built a 7" sono, and when the driver came it wouldn't fit, luckily, I didn't wack a hammer into the tube like I did a sheet of concrete backerboard yesterday:wits-end: I would have been out a lot more money than $9:whistling: My wise stepdad always told me the same thing as TC-sometimes it really is the best thing. Sharing the problem with others may help find a solution, and the great people here at HTS are extremely helpful.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I've been "chatting" with goonstopher, there may be a salvage plan for him.
He's getting advice from the right person...:T

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mike has been helping but I am too much at a loss in this. I am going to just cut them down to about 21-22" and have 5ish feet internal volume (working with brett from ED) and have them in individual sealed tubes facing up and down. I'll get another EP2500 and run them with 1200-1300 watts (ED ok'd this). With a boost at 18hz and co-locating them I am sure I will get enough output and it will leave me with some money to fix the 60"x90" leaking, horrible door that will go very far in reducing the amount of space the subs have to pressurize and make my small room act like it should rather than having to fill an entire floor of the house.

I still have questions about the next step.

1. Is spray rubber a good solution to make sure any layer or two of paper that pulled off is air proof? I figure it will seal off any loose ends of the paper I might miss, add to the structural integrity (slightly) and seal the tubes even more. Can it hurt to do this?

2. I have to leave the flairs on, I will take off the ports, can I attach a peice of plywood, or other board, to each individual tube then use a thicker board with very long wood screws to make them into one singular unit that will have woofers facing up and down?

That is my plan so far.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks man. actually BHPhoto is 40 minutes from me and I'll gladly pay the extra $10 for the security of getting it the next day and being able to return it in person if something goes wrong.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Thanks man. actually BHPhoto is 40 minutes from me and I'll gladly pay the extra $10 for the security of getting it the next day and being able to return it in person if something goes wrong.
Good deal.....:T

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Really it won't be much work. I just need a friend to cut them with me then sand and paint the cap I ruined (which WAS powder coated at a car place...) and screw them together...

Do you think a 20amp circuit could run 3 ep2500's? eventually I want to add a buttkicker and if I can't do that then it makes this a WHOLE lot more confusing

1 - 20 of 35 Posts