Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll have the specs later on...I'll give the basic run down now.

440 Liter tube tuned to 16hz

65.5'' tall by 24'' diameter
Port is 8'' in diameter flared with a smoothing ring on the intake, approx 33 inches long
100% polyfill...a good 12lbs worth anyways.

Using Tempest X 15'' sub driver

Here I'm trying to figure out best way to put on legs

Said the with it and put on legs

I'll get some more shots later and post them.

Right now it's done other than the exterior and sounds fantastic. Still haven't decided how and what I'm going to put on it. I'll probably find some kind of fabric but I'm still kinda searching for ideas. Not sure I want the same ole speaker carpet treatment.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have planned on using the EP1500 I got...waiting for a fan to mod it with. It's so loud right now there's no way it would work without routing it elsewhere. If the fan mod still doesn't get me happy I'll be getting a plate amp and sale the EP1500 on the ebays.

I took an old sub I had in a back room apart and got the new sub working with it. The amp is approx 200 watts and it's actually seeming to do the job but I haven't pushed it very hard yet.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
100% polyfill, 12lbs worth? :unbelievable:

You definitely do not want to stuff a ported sub, as it will restrict the usability of the port. At most you want to line the walls of the sub and wrap the port in order to help break up any standing waves. Stuffing is reserved for sealed subs.

If you haven't sealed everything up yet, please remove the stuffing, otherwise your low end won't behave as it should.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was told if the design calls for it (and Kevin's Exodus designs do call for 100% on vented systems) to do it. I've heard it told both ways from various people...I'm only following the general guidelines of Kevin's application guide. Worst case is...I'll have to take that driver out which isn't the end of the world. I seems to go pretty low right now...I can tell a drastic difference between it and my SVS PB10

·
Registered
150 Posts
I would thing the only problem with the poly in there would be if it gets in the tube and clogs it. Just check out the port and see if it looks like airflow is somehow effected.
Also I think your enclosure is tuned to about 15 Hz which is pretty nice!

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I turn mine off, with no auto on it is safer.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
One thing I wanted to ask those that have these pro amps....Do you leave them on all the time or turn them off when not in use. .
I'm using one to power the fronts ...I always turn it on/off ...but last week I forgot to turn it on; so I watched the whole movie just with the surrounds :hide:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Wow, 24" diameter by 65.5" tall, that's a monster!! That's about the same height as my tower speakers, except twice as wide.

I am using polyfill in all my vented speakers. I don't see a problem with it, so long as you manage to keep it from blocking the vent(s).

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
I would highly suggest you use RoomEQ Wizard to take some measurements, as I can't fathom any scenario in which 100% polyfill isn't negatively impacting port performance. If Kevin's design calls for it, I think Kevin has made a typo.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I would highly suggest you use RoomEQ Wizard to take some measurements, as I can't fathom any scenario in which 100% polyfill isn't negatively impacting port performance. If Kevin's design calls for it, I think Kevin has made a typo.
Well, there's 100% and then there's 100%. :) Perhaps Kevin meant 100% everywhere except the entrance of the port(s)? I worked on a subwoofer yesterday which I would call 200% polyfill. Getting all the stuffing back inside was worse that packing a sleeping bag into a tiny stuff sack. You could not possibly fit any more polyfill in if you tried, it was that full. This was a sealed box, by the way. What I have always considered 100% fill is enough to occupy all the empty space in the enclosure without actually having to pack it in - maybe that's not correct.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, there's 100% and then there's 100%. :) Perhaps Kevin meant 100% everywhere except the entrance of the port(s)? I worked on a subwoofer yesterday which I would call 200% polyfill. Getting all the stuffing back inside was worse that packing a sleeping bag into a tiny stuff sack. You could not possibly fit any more polyfill in if you tried, it was that full. This was a sealed box, by the way. What I have always considered 100% fill is enough to occupy all the empty space in the enclosure without actually having to pack it in - maybe that's not correct.
Well I packed it in but not overly forcefully...more of measure to get it tucked around the port and what not. I checked last night and it's not clogging the port however I may be able to create a better gap between the port and the fill.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
The amount of fill depends on the build. Sometimes a high fill is useful because it can cut down port output to remove a peak in the response. The higher the fill, the larger the losses so you get less port output. It also gives you a larger effective box so you can play with the amount of fill to achieve a desired response knowing those factors.

Having said that you don't ever want fill in or near the mouth of a port.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Not much to look at right now...but she's working. I've got a vision in my head of using something like car molding at the top and bottom since I screwed up the top and bottom plate cuts to make it appear a little more uniform. Then I'll use some sort of material to cover it all with...still working on all that. Those are things that can happen in the coming weeks. I'm in no hurry for that.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts