Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I have built a cheapo sub with jaycar 350w amp, got my brother to build a steal enclosure for it in pics and the venom 15" running in a 500mm by 400mm by 450mm ported enclosure, 75mm port which is 350mm long. It was meant to be in the room hence my box limitations in size

It sits in a back room behind my tv and is able to generate very deep bass, must be due to the small room acting like a bandpass enclosure. The room has a door on it which opens into the sliding door which is a pain as i have to keep open

However it is really peaky around the low stuff and muddy
i remember a while back being told to take out the 35hz booster in the jaycar amp. I wanted to clarify how much benefit i would get from this before i bug one of my sparky mates

Would also like to start looking at a new driver and box config, any suggestions, still in the cheaper range. i would ideally like to keep the jaycr amp to limit cost. After something musical also and i do like the sound of the 15s

Attachments

·
Registered
887 Posts
I don't know about your room but mine has a large mode a 35Hz that I had to cut by 12 dB or so. I sure wouldn't want my amp to be adding gain there as well. Generally, it's best to remove any gain features unless they were specifically designed for your application.

As a side note: Your setup looks very tidy. How do you like your Klipsch towers? What model are they? i would recommend moving your receiver and xbox to the lower shelf and your center channel to the upper. Generally good practice to put the center as close to the screen as possible...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know about your room but mine has a large mode a 35Hz that I had to cut by 12 dB or so. I sure wouldn't want my amp to be adding gain there as well. Generally, it's best to remove any gain features unless they were specifically designed for your application.

As a side note: Your setup looks very tidy. How do you like your Klipsch towers? What model are they? i would recommend moving your receiver and xbox to the lower shelf and your center channel to the upper. Generally good practice to put the center as close to the screen as possible...
Thanks mate

yea, i thought so. im trying to balance it out using the amps LFE eq.

My klipsch are teh old Synergy SF2s. Im really happy with them. They are very bright speakers but i have just bought my Onkyo SR706 and im using the room eq to compensate. I have the SC1 centre and Klipsch SB2 rears so they are all pretty much identical

Im still playing with the onkyo to get it sounding right at the moment

Yes, i had the amp and xbox on the bottom originally but the clearance is 20mm small on bottom shelf and i was a bit nervous about the heat, as soon as i mved it to the top shelf it shaved off a good 5degrees and now i run an extraction fan ontop which wont fit on the bottom shelf.

We sit quite a way back from the screen so once the lights are off the centre still sounds ok

·
Registered
887 Posts
Ahh, I hear ya. gotta keep things cool.

You may want to invest in a BFD and SPL meter if you can get them and have a computer. I just happened to have computer with line in already and for about $150 US I ended up with a sweet measurement and eq system. Makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
262 Posts
The driver you are using is design for sealed alignment. Collo's Diy website is a great source for the Venom Drivers and the modifications of the Jaycar amps. I used a 10" Venom driver for one of my sub's and for the price they are very good value. If it was myself I would seal up your box and try the sub in your theatre room, just a thought.

http://www.subwoofer-builder.com/

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SOrry to revive an old thread but i have been offered a 2nd venom sub. Would i be getting anything from adding a 2nd 15" Venom. This would be an 8 ohm load and the amps power reduces from 350w to 240w rms

thanks

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It would be best if it had its own amp or a bigger amp to driver both subs.
yea, i thought this would be the case.

As both subs are 4 ohms, is there a way i can bridge both subs together and use some type of trick to get it back to 4 ohm again.

As far as i know running parallel will give me 2 ohms which the amp cant take and series will give 8ohms which reduces power.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts