Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not yet built a sub for myself, that will come later. However I built a sub for a friend as my first project. We used the Dayton Audio RSS315HF-4 High Fidelity 12" aluminum cone sub coupled with the Bash 300watt plate amp sold at partsexpress. I put it in an enclosuer that is approximately 5.1cu ft with a port that is 3" round and 6.5" long using the flared 3" kits sold on partsexpress.

We have not veneered the sub yet but we got impatient and decided to listen to it anyways on monday evening so we put it together and turned it on. Then we all sat around smiling like idiots for the rest of the night. I realise now, having leared more than I knew when I started the project that the thing should have port noise issues in the low frequency range and perhapse excursion issues. Which I am hoping you can all check out and perahpse make recommendations for. Anyways the thing sounds ******** awesome. I origionally designed it for him as a sortof audiophile musical subwoofer. But ofcourse when I hooked it up immediately everybody cranks it up and puts in some seriously bassy music. You can feel the thing hitting from across the room and he has one of those houses where the living room, dining room and kitchen are all one big room. I left before they played a movie but apparently during Iron Man everyone said that it was like being in an actual movie theatre and they had to turn it down because all the dishes in the kitchen were rattling.

When I've had a chance to check the thing out some more, and I have more posts under my belt I'll add pictures or something, tho right now its not much to look at.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
The box is tuned to about 20 hz. If port noise does become an issue you can always add another port and lengthen them to 15.25 inches to achieve the same tuning. I believe the Bash 300 amp from Parts Express has a subsonic filter at 18 hz so over excursion at the lower frequencies shouldn't be a problem. Since the sub is new the suspension will loosen up with use and go louder and lower yet. Glad to hear it worked out well for you. Looking forward to the pics.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts