Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys
just thought l would share my DIY build. I did not have any means at the time to calculate volumes and performance so my cabinet size was a recommendation. I was told 6 cubic feet and sealed was the right size and anything over was a bonus.
I measured up my space and ended up with 550mm W x. 700mm H. X. 750mm Deep . After driver displacement and bracing etc l am left with 211 ltr’s volume.
l do have Winlsd now but have never been able to get it to give me the cone excursion graph properly. I put 1000w into the signal and it not on the graph l have dropped the wattage down to 10w and it showing75mm + on the graph witch is impossible. So don’t know what’s going on there . Maybe someone a lot more savie than me might like to give me somefigures for this sub .
A few pictures of the build l laminated the cabinet tomatch the TV unit to keep the wife happy.

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
Nice enclosure!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I cannot help with your figures but that’s a beautiful looking sub. Great work!! How do you like it’s performance?

·
Registered
27 Posts
It's perfect box size.
Qtc = 0.75
Power limit and stroke limit overlap below 30Hz (perfect - @1000W it will give exactly Xmax from 1Hz to 30Hz and will not overtravel. Above 40Hz power limit will deliver 117dB ).

117dB from 40Hz and up
109dB @ 20Hz
97dB @10Hz

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's perfect box size.
Qtc = 0.75
Power limit and stroke limit overlap below 30Hz (perfect - @1000W it will give exactly Xmax from 1Hz to 30Hz and will not overtravel. Above 40Hz power limit will deliver 117dB ).

117dB from 40Hz and up
109dB @ 20Hz
97dB @10Hz
I cannot help with your figures but that’s a beautiful looking sub. Great work!! How do you like it’s performance?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Will P
Thanks for spending your time and checking out the parameters it’s much appreciated. Well it looks like l got lucky with the sizes .
T -Dub
The sub sounds great but l must admit l have been fairly conservative with the powers as l was not sure on the cone excursion. I am very surprised at how responsive that carbon fibre cone is . l am using the Dayton 1200 w amp but l don’t think it will output any were nere 1200w so the driver should be safe any
I am looking forward until tonight to give the sub a resend workout .
Thanks again guys for your help and comments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Will P
Thanks for spending your time and checking out the parameters it’s much appreciated. Well it looks like l got lucky with the sizes .
T -Dub
The sub sounds great but l must admit l have been fairly conservative with the powers as l was not sure on the cone excursion. I am very surprised at how responsive that carbon fibre cone is . l am using the Dayton 1200 w amp but l don’t think it will output any were nere 1200w so the driver should be safe any
I am looking forward until tonight to give the sub a resend workout .
Thanks again guys for your help and comments
The Dayton plate amps have been dyno tested and delver very close to their 1200 watts ratings.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again for your help . Was just wondering out of curiosity if l made this sub ported what the figures what would look like .

·
Registered
32 Posts
I love the look of the Dayton carbon fiber cone. Along with your awesome enclosure she is a looker for sure!

As far as you holding back, being a little worried about power, just keep an ear out for any unusual sounds. Aka pops or smacks. I personally like to use movie scenes I’m familiar with that have deep bass. I replay it over & over, each time I increase the volume .5dB. I go until I feel it’s as loud as I would like the scene to be during normal movie watching. Of course I am listening for signs of strain. I then listen at that high volume level with myself right at the sub to listen even closer for distress.

I recently build a sealed sub very similar to yours. 4cuft sealed, 1000w amp, Harbottle Audio - Ridge 18vS driver (with CF cone). Keep an eye out for my build post soon if interested :)

• Side Note: In generalan underpowered amp is more dangerous to a driver than an overpowered amp. An amp clipping is one of the worst things you can do to a sub.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I dug out the good old edge of tomorrow and increased the volume until the minister of no fun started grabbing her wine glasses and she had her grumpy face on lol. I have the lLLEGAL BASS CD shall give the Sub a good workout with 3 kinds of bass track tomorrow when the wife is out.
Definitely interested in seeing you build also make sure to send me a link when you start your post.
👍

·
Registered
32 Posts
I dug out the good old edge of tomorrow and increased the volume until the minister of no fun started grabbing her wine glasses and she had her grumpy face on lol. I have the lLLEGAL BASS CD shall give the Sub a good workout with 3 kinds of bass track tomorrow when the wife is out.
Definitely interested in seeing you build also make sure to send me a link when you start your post.
👍
I posted my sub build if you’re interested :)
The title is Harbottle Audio - Ridge 18vS
I hope you enjoy it!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have the lLLEGAL BASS CD shall give the Sub a good workout with 3 kinds of bass track tomorrow when the wife is out.
👍
Tru basshead!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts