Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My egg shaped 18” sub build.

This build was started this spring and was partially inspired by Corock’s 21” build. If you haven’t had a chance to see his build, you should check it out. You can find it here. http://www.hometheatershack.com/for...-projects/25564-m-21-giveaway-build-pics.html

My build isn’t anywhere near as nice, but it’s what I could do and I’m proud of it.

This was a bit of an unusual build. Some will say that it is ugly, but the wife has given her stamp of approval, and more importantly, I like it. It is a nice step up from my old Titanic III 15”.

The driver is a Maelstrom-18".
Amp is a Behringer EP4000.
EQ is a Behringer DSP1124P Feedback Destroyer.
Using ¾” MDF to make a 5.75 cubic foot sealed enclosure (internal).
Walls are 2” thick.

Here are the plans in Word.

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: My egg shaped 18” sub build.

Here are a few pics from the build. First is all the scrap wood. Boy there was a ton of wasted wood. I tried to use the scraps to build a few other things around the house, but the shapes are so odd that it was almost a total loss.
Then there’s a pic of the rings to be used. Then inventory of the rings. Can’t start building till every ring is accounted for.

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Then came the assembly. I used regular yellow glue, and then nailed and screwed each ring to the next. The bracing came out pretty good. It ended up about half stuffed with insulation.

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Oh look! It's got some color now. This was the first coat of China Red. It looked more orange than red to me. The next coat was Red Oak. It was starting to look more like the Piano Rosewood that I wanted it to match. Then it got a coat of Red Mahogany and a bunch of clear-coats. Unfortunately, the MDF kept coming out very splotchy. I ended up sanding it all off and starting over.

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

After trying just about every red stain known to man, I gave up and went to paint. Stain was nice in that it let me keep the rings, but it also kept all the patchiness that comes with staining the edges of MDF.
We still had trouble finding a paint color we liked. 3 times we picked out a color to have it end up looking nothing like the sample at the store. Eventually we found this textured color & paint. It is still not perfect and the spottiness is still there in the picture, but it’s hard to see in person. Besides, it’s the imperfections that make it a work of art. (That’s my story, and I’m sticking to it)
It does look kind of cool with all the gold sprinkles in the clear coat though. The picture didn't do it justice.

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I used a belt sander and went through, 2 - 40 grit belts, 3 - 80 grit belts and 2 - 120 grit belts. It took a good 8-10 hours of back breaking work.
After each coat of paint, stain, clearcoat etc I used an orbital sander with 220 grit.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Then tragedy struck!

After the paint dried, I had to roll it onto its side to paint the legs black. I didn’t want to scratch up my new paint job on the cement garage floor, so I decided to use the carpet scraps left over from when our house was built. The wife has them in front of the downstairs entrance for people to wipe their feet on. As I laid them down, I thought that she might get upset if I got black paint on them, so I flipped them over. After all, who would notice paint on the underside of a scrap carpet? Too bad that it turns out that the underside of it has a very coarse nylon mesh. Paint job ruined! Start over….
I never did really find the color I wanted in a store. I had mixed two colors together to finally find something I liked. Mixing them together to find that same color a second time proved difficult. What I ended up with was slightly lighter and a little on the pink side of brown/red. But it was OK and I pushed on.
Wifey loved the look of the clear coat with the gold sparklies in it last time, so I went that way again. This time though, the sparklies didn’t go on even. Must have been because of me reusing the same paint roller as last time. So then, I had to repaint again. Shoot me now SHOOT ME NOW!

On the bright side, the amp showed up at about this time. It’s a beast! It’s about half the size of my AVR but weighs about the same.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts

Hi there,

Ive seen this build somewhere else. Or am I going mad but did this not end up as a red colour sub. Great work though.

Sorry just hit reply and the other pics came up. I remember this one. Did you manage to run any graphs.

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Hi there,

Ive seen this build somewhere else. Or am I going mad but did this not end up as a red colour sub. Great work though.

Sorry just hit reply and the other pics came up. I remember this one. Did you manage to run any graphs.

cheers

Graham
Hi, yes. This build was from this spring into the summer. You may have seen it elsewhere. I did get some graph readings. I'll have those up soon.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)

The biggest problem was yet to come. How to get this thing to the second floor. The egg without the driver ended up at about 150 pounds. I tried the special straps but wifey is only 4'7" and 100 pound soaking wet. She couldn't help. I ended up using a hand truck to drag it up the stairs. But not without a few dings.

In the last pic here, you can just make out the "Titanic" 15 incher behind it. Funny, the Titanic never looked so small. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Then came the testing. I managed to graph my preliminary results. After applying my filters to the BFD, I tried to get the end results but my Radio Shack meter stopped functioning. It will need replacing. Until then, it does sound great. When I run the test tones through it, they sound pretty even (Except for the very low lows. I can’t “hear” those, but the house sure shakes and the hair on the back of my neck stands up.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,069 Posts

Gmichael,

Thats a pretty good graph apart from the peak. When are you building the second one then. :bigsmile:

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Gmichael,

Thats a pretty good graph apart from the peak. When are you building the second one then. :bigsmile:

cheers

Graham
Thanks.

I think I got that peak/platto under control. Won't know for sure till I get a new meter though.

I'll build a second one as soon as someone tells me how to go from 50 years old, back to 18. My bones can't take this anymore.:sarcastic:

·
Registered
369 Posts

That is pretty amazing. I wish I had the patience, let alone the cash to be able to throw away as much wood as a project like this would take. Kudos to you sir.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts