Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I am attempting my first build, and by that i mean assembly. I received all my parts from ED. They cut the endcaps for me, and are providing the drivers and amps ( 4-19 0v2 and 2 lt1300). All to be enclosed in 2 sealed sonotubes. My first step will be cutting the sonotubes- any suggestions on which type of saw to use? Any recommendations on painting the endcaps? I saw a "marble look" spray can and thought that may look nice. I am going to wrap the tubes with a custom graphic dye sublimated cloth that i will get a friend to design (not sure on design yet though). I appreciate any feedback and will start submitting pics when i get the cuts made.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
I used a hacksaw and slowly followed the cut line around the tube. Make sure your cut line is perfectly square. Prime the end caps before you spray them. The inside of the tube has a transparent release film that needs to be peeled off so the glue will stick to the tube and endcap.

Is the 190v2 dual 4 ohm coils?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dual 4 ohm coils-yes. Thanks for the other tips ( i would not have peeled the film). I will definitely prime everything. The tube will be blasted with black as well to make sure no other colour comes through the fabric.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
About 11 cu. '. or 311 L. The tube will be 41" long with a diameter of 24.75" (11.42 cu.') i guessing about .5 cu' for drivers.

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
Modeling shows 122+ db at 20 hz with room gain, you have some serious bass coming your way!
That's the way we like it here at HTS:dumbcrazy:
You can check out several sonosub builds here to see some helpful ideas and prevent some pitfalls:joke:

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Do you have a plunge router? Those are great for cutting circles and templates.

You can also use a jigsaw or even a hack saw if you want a good workout.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The graphic will be printed on a piece of cloth. The process is dye sublimation. Same thing as graphics on poker/pool tables. I will apply it to the tube with velcro (i think) at the top and bottom.

ed190.JPG

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here are more pics. They did not turn out great after i tried to resize. The build went great. It gives me a great amount of respect for those of you out there that do your own woodworking as well as some of the beautiful finishes i've seen on DIY builds.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

·
Banned
1,074 Posts
This is the graphic i was thinking of for my sonotube build. Any thoughts?
are you putting this on your sonos??

Here are more pics. They did not turn out great after i tried to resize. The build went great. It gives me a great amount of respect for those of you out there that do your own woodworking as well as some of the beautiful finishes i've seen on DIY builds.
what didnt turn out, build pics or graphix?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey all. Just a quick update. The subs are in place and running. The graphic is at the printers. It will be applied to a stretch fabric that will be sewn into a "sock". It should be ready in a week or so. With the ratshack meter, I'm hitting 117 DB at listening pos (14') with my avr at -10 watching Iron Man. I know i've got reflections and things i'm going to have to address, but i am extremely happy so far.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts