Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is my first custom subwoofer. I got the idea for my setup from this website: http://www.danmarx.org/audioinnovation/10triple10.html . It seemed like a cool idea and I hadn't seen many triple passive subwoofers so I thought I'd give it a try. Ever since I discovered TC Sounds back in 2007, I knew I wanted build a subwoofer based on their products. So here it is. (1) 15" TC-3000, (2) 15" VMP Passive Radiators, (1) 18" VMP Passive Radiator (I couldn't find another 18" so I jumped at the chance to buy 2 15's from an individual). The enclosure is a 24" cube with double mdf walls. The feet are 3.75"x3.75"x3" made from mdf. You can see the bracing in the first image. A local bedliner shop sprayed the entire enclosure for $40. The trim cherry 4" wide x 3/3 thick, joined at the corners, stained with a satin finish. The top will have 26" granite top by the end of the week. Pioneer~Saturn (member @ caraudioclassifieds.org) built the enclosure seeing that I'm no good at woodworking. After displacement and bracing, volume is 4.8 cuft. There is just over 1500grms of washers (including the nut) on each passive placing tuning at about 18hz. I've only tested it a couple times since it's at work and shakes the walls and drop ceiling in the room. (boss not too happy about that). FYI, anyone needing more washers for TC Sounds VMP's, check out fastenal. They the exact size and weight for $.79 each. Let me know what you think.

These worked out great!

Feet

Had it sprayed with Reflex Polyurethane liner.

Cherry trim pieces installed.

Granite prior to cut, finish and installation.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f151/mtrainer
/sub/IMG00068-20091229-0938.jpg

8awg speaker wire

I changed terminals. Wire soldered to terminals and installed in plate.

Granite for the top

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
306 Posts
whoa, I am so very jealous of you. That thing looks awesome and I am sure fills out the bottom end of your system. wow.

Great job!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
whoa, I am so very jealous of you. That thing looks awesome and I am sure fills out the bottom end of your system. wow.

Great job!
Thanks. Can't wait to get the beast home and watch Terminator Salvation!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Great looking sub, and great photos! Thanks for sharing this!

I'm looking forward to seeing it with the granite top on!

By the way, Terminator Salvation has some of the best action soundtrack I've ever heard!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks. I'll be sure to post pictures tomorrow.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Looks good, how much did the granite run you if you don't mind me asking. I just finished my shell for my Exodus Tempest X-2 and am contemplating on what to use for the top. I like the thought of granite though, I'm going to use 1/4 oak to wrap the sides and then 1 x 3 or 4's for the legs also in oak and stain it.

·
Registered
503 Posts
That is a beautiful setup. I just recently Purchased a 15' TC-2000 with the silver aluminum cone. Where were you able to find those passive radiators??? I am having difficulty finding any. Amazing work man.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got the granite on, finally! Taking it home this weekend!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks good, how much did the granite run you if you don't mind me asking. I just finished my shell for my Exodus Tempest X-2 and am contemplating on what to use for the top. I like the thought of granite though, I'm going to use 1/4 oak to wrap the sides and then 1 x 3 or 4's for the legs also in oak and stain it.
I paid $99 for the granite from a place that sells scrap pieces. That includes the finishing the edges and the pencil bevel.

That is a beautiful setup. I just recently Purchased a 15' TC-2000 with the silver aluminum cone. Where were you able to find those passive radiators??? I am having difficulty finding any. Amazing work man.
Thanks. I posted wtb threads on most of the audio forums. TC Sounds was willing to sell me some but I couldn't wait that long.

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Fantastic build, very neatly done :T.

Have you done any graphs of the response, can you post any up, it'd be interesting to see a Dan Marx design measured as well as this sub in general.

Again, well done!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@moonfly

I guess I'll have to try my hand at REW when I get it home. That means more reading for me. What would be a good mic to use for REW?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
@moonfly

I guess I'll have to try my hand at REW when I get it home. That means more reading for me. What would be a good mic to use for REW?
A nice cheap one to get you started is the radio shack SPL meter. If you click the REW link at the top of the main forum page, theres tones of info in there to get you started, as well as info on good mics to use :T

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
very nicely done:clap:, how did you choose on the Reflex Polyurethane liner? And no primer/ filler at all?
Thanks Veltinorian
I had seen other projects that had spray on liner applied and like the rugged finish. My co-worker had reflex applied to his p/u and it had some what of a glossy finish I thought would be a good contrast to the wood. In addition, the guy only charged me $40! I don't think they prepared the surface at all. Just sprayed it on the bare mdf. :T

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry for the lack of updates. I'm happy to report that it is home and shaking the walls with authority! :bigsmile: I ran into a noise issue from my sat receiver. Installing a Samson S-convert got rid of the noise and gave me a nice signal boost. It truly sounds good on everything and find myself in a trance watching the cone excursion on low frequency material. I haven't had the time to test the spl levels yet or take any room measurements. Maybe I can carve out some time in the next 2 weeks to get that done. I'll record another video and post it here. What would me a good track (movie or music) to use for recording a short vid?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts