Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I am new to this forum. I am looking to do a subwoofer build and need some advice. I have an "Exile xpe 12d" subwoofer, and wonder if it can be used for home use. This 12" sub has dual 4 ohm voice coils and is build like a tank, with a 600 watt rms rating, and a 38mm peak to peak Xmax rating. A really tough sub that has taken 650-700 watts rms for hours at a time, for about 6 months, showing no signs of fatigue. One of the most reliable car subs i have had. I would like to put it in a ported enclosure tuned to 20-24 hz. Or lower if it is posible. Here are the T/S parameters....
fs-27.96 hz
re-7.75 ohms
qms-5.2
qes-.503
qts-.461
vas-51.8 litres
mms-219.87 grams
cms-151.11
bl-25.22
spl-89db
Xmax-19mm(1-way)
rms-600
peak-1200
..... I would appreciate some feedback. I would prefer to use this sub if possible.:T
Thanks...

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Hey guys,

I am new to this forum. I am looking to do a subwoofer build and need some advice. I have an "Exile xpe 12d" subwoofer, and wonder if it can be used for home use. This 12" sub has dual 4 ohm voice coils and is build like a tank, with a 600 watt rms rating, and a 38mm peak to peak Xmax rating. A really tough sub that has taken 650-700 watts rms for hours at a time, for about 6 months, showing no signs of fatigue. One of the most reliable car subs i have had. I would like to put it in a ported enclosure tuned to 20-24 hz. Or lower if it is posible. Here are the T/S parameters....
fs-27.96 hz
re-7.75 ohms
qms-5.2
qes-.503
qts-.461
vas-51.8 litres
mms-219.87 grams
cms-151.11
bl-25.22
spl-89db
Xmax-19mm(1-way)
rms-600
peak-1200
..... I would appreciate some feedback. I would prefer to use this sub if possible.:T
Thanks...
I'm sorry but after modeling this it appears too weak for home theater. It's not able to get a low tune without easily passing xmax. It is clearly designed to be aided with the cabin gain of a car.

If you want a good inexpensive home sub Look at the Dayton RF series.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-468

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It models quite well for me if the Xmax is correct (which I doubt). The problem is the dual 4 ohm coils.
Mike P,
.........That is correct for the x-max. 19mm 1-way, 38-peak-peak. As stated on the box, in the manual and on the website for exile. The sub is rated for 600 rms, and has been their and beyond, with no signs of the woofer bottoming out, with lots of excursion. Can you elaborate on "it models quite well for me".What was your findings?
..........As far as having dual 4 ohm voice coils, the reckhorn a-403 is a sub amp that is stable into 2 ohms mono and delivers 400 watts rms.
thanks...........

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is this for HT, music, or both?
Mike P,
...........This is for music only. I like extremely loud music. Especially when i have a few drinks in me.:bigsmile: Lot's of deep bass-spl. Actually i have 2 of the 12" exile subs on hand. If i can use these i would. Each in their own enclosure. They are overbuilt and i think would last for years! What do suggest Mike?

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
3 cu.ft. tuned to 23 hz with a slot port works for each sub, it would be good for both music and movies. A Reckhorn a-403 isn't going to get it done, you'll need a Pro amp capable of at least 600 watts per channel into 2 ohms, and you'll also need a Reckhorn B1 or B2 for a Hi Pass filter.

Text Font Technology Line Electronic device

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
3 cu.ft. tuned to 23 hz with a slot port works for each sub, it would be good for both music and movies. A Reckhorn a-403 isn't going to get it done, you'll need a Pro amp capable of at least 600 watts per channel into 2 ohms, and you'll also need a Reckhorn B1 or B2 for a Hi Pass filter.

View attachment 19899
Not sure what was going through my head lol. You can certainly use this in home theater. :huh:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

View attachment 19899
Thanks for the help Mike P.....Can you answer a few questions in regard to your input please..............Am i to assume that you mean to get a pro amp and run the subs in 2 ohm stereo? Wouldn't it be better to wire each sub to 2 ohms mono, then wire togeather in series for a overall impedance of 4ohms and run that(4 ohms mono) off the amp?
............When you say 3 cu.ft tuned to 23hz. Is this 3 cu.ft of airspace "plus" the displacement of the woofer?, or just build a 3 cu.ft box and drop the woofer in?
.............I would prefer to run a round port instead of the slot port. If this is possible, what size-length of the round do you recommend?
Thanks.............:T

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
Either 2 ohms stereo or 4 ohms mono bridged is fine. 3 cu.ft. is the net volume, to that you add the displacement of the sub, ports, and bracing. If you want to use rounds ports then you'll need two 4" flared ports 40" long each. You can use 4" Schedule 40 PVC elbows to bend the ports to make them fit in the box.

There's an "Enclosure Volume Calculator" link in my signature, it will help you with the box design.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Either 2 ohms stereo or 4 ohms mono bridged is fine. 3 cu.ft. is the net volume, to that you add the displacement of the sub, ports, and bracing. If you want to use rounds ports then you'll need two 4" flared ports 40" long each. You can use 4" Schedule 40 PVC elbows to bend the ports to make them fit in the box.

There's an "Enclosure Volume Calculator" link in my signature, it will help you with the box design.
.......Thanks for the help! It looks like the slotted port is the way to go.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm also considering building some HT subs using car subs. Mike modelled a HT sub using PG Xmax subs that I picked up......the model looks pretty good. I too have an Exile 12 XPE that I am considering for a HT sub. Did you end up building the HT 12XPE ? If yes, how does it sound?

............sounds pretty easy to build. Thanks! :clap:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.