Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

today arrived my SPL Meter. Time to play!
After all the connections done and reading the help files, trial and error, trial and error...i think i got it.

I made some tests and found that there's a big difference with the room's door closed than opened.

Doors opened.
puertas abiertas.jpg

Doors closed.
puertas cerradas.jpg

What do you think about these graphs?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
9,257 Posts

The graphs would be easier to decipher if you had posted them in our standard format of 45-105 dB vertical, but I’m surprised at your open/closed graphs. They look backwards; I would expect opening the doors to suck out low end response, not boost it.

That said, based on the top graph it appears you have a 20 dB variance between your worst peaks and depressions in your subwoofer response, which is pretty severe. With the bottom graph, the variance is much worse, over 30 dB. I’d suggest finding a sub location that gets you something like a 15 dB variance, and then get a parametric EQ to clean things up from there.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Wayne,

thanks for your comments. I was also surprised on the response open/closed doors. I also thought everything closed would push bottom end, thats why i tried that (i have verything open right now cos it's summer and it's really hot here is Spain...:sn:

Ununfortunately location is an issue as i have no other place than behind sofa where it is right now. I can't place it in front of me (TV furniture) nor on the sides (wall, and table) unless i move aaaaaall the living room things of place and turn it upside down (maybe it's time for a change?)

I changed limits in the graph....let's see if i did it right to meet the standards you use.

Doors closed.
puertas cerradas2.jpg

Only front door open.
front door open2.jpg

Doors open.
all doors open.jpg

That huge dip between 20-40 hz is a room mode? Do you think i can solve it with EQ? Or maybe location is the better solution to huge dips and EQ is more for peaks? (i think i don't have huge peaks...do you?)

Thank you very much.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your comments.
Behind the sub there's a big open with no door that leads to a small room. I'll try to make a test by "sealing" that open space with a blanket so i can "make" a corner for the sub. If the response improves maybe i can buy a curtain to separate that open room.
Do you think that will work?

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Any chance of moving the listening position?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm afraid not.
I moved the sofa away to do some measures with the sub in the same position (against the wall), in the middle of the same wall (1 meter original position), and in the middle of the room.
All locations are worse.
I have to say that the room is naked...nothing on the walls, no carpets (concrete floor)...don't know if that could be an issue....:huh:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts