Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to say that this is a great forum and am so glad i came across this website. I've always wanted to cal my home theatre as a hobby, but never wanted to spend 1000 of dollars in equipment.

REW is great and easy to use.

Anyways, here are a couple of graphs that i just wanted to get some advice on. I noticed i have some peaking at about 80hz. Wondering if anybody had any suggestion on correcting this. My SVS SB12 has a parametric eq, but i haven't been able to smooth it out even with that. Wondering if i need a better EQ. My setup is in a rather small apartment (800sq ft). I've tried moving the speaker to no avail.

roomcal.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
Have you tried inverting the sub's phase? That may help with sub+mains. Could also try a lower crossover from subs to mains, depending on the capabilities of the mains. Another thing to try is adjusting the SVS parametric EQ while using the REW RTA to monitor the results, can quickly see what effect the adjustments are having that way. Other than that the response looks very good.

·
Super Moderator
9,257 Posts
I noticed i have some peaking at about 80hz. Wondering if anybody had any suggestion on correcting this. My SVS SB12 has a parametric eq, but i haven't been able to smooth it out even with that. View attachment 11749
Unless it's been improved since I reviewed a prototype a couple of years ago, the calibration on the SB12's EQ is not terribly accurate. You'll probably want to adjust it using REW's RTA feature, which will show response in real-time as you adjust the equalizer.

Another thought, your graph seems to include the mains and the sub. If that's the case, even if you EQ out the hump with the sub EQ, it will still be there, because the mains are generating it too. As John said, try the variable phase control and/or moving the crossover down, if your main speakers will accommodate it.

Regards,
Wayne

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, this measurement was done with the mains disconnected. I initially did it with the mains connected and i was getting nulls. After researching the forums it seemed like i should be doing it with the mains disconnected.

Do i connect the mains after i've smoothed out the subs alone? Or do i jump right to doing both?

I'll definately need to play around with the RTA in REW. Didn't even know it had the feature. Pretty cool! Guess i will need to look into that. That would definately help with the tuning controls. As every time i changed something i needed to load a new graph.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts