Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a look at the REW sweep of my Martin Logan Descent I sub using a Behringer UCA202 as my sound card and a new Radio Shaft analog SPL meter.
Since I am a Noob at this, I would appreciate any input or advice.
day one, no eq.jpg

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
I would appreciate any input or advice.
Very nice response. It certainly goes low. If you're not using any external EQ, then you're quite lucky - you don't need any....

Use the standard vertical axis of 45dB-105dB using the Graph Limits button in the top right corner of REW.. You're being kind to yourself with that wide axis you're using.

brucek

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks brucek for the suggestion about the graph. I still might buy a BFD to smooth out the spikes at 41 and 65 hz. Here is the adjusted graph...a little more ragged looking now that it is "zoomed in".
day 1, 45-105 db graph adjust.jpg

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Still a fairly good response though. have you tried moving the sub around at all to better the peak at 40Hz? Sometimes a small change will affect a peak.

Did you also try moving the listening position mic around a few feet at least from the sweet spot to observe changes.

brucek

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I'm kind of surprised myself because Martin Logan only rates the Descent I to 18hz. The only thing I can figure is that I have adjusted the Descent's 20hz eq knob to +4db and the 50hz knob to -3db when I first set up the sub. Maybe that boost at 20hz is working some magic in the infrabase as well
I will play with REW a little more tomorrow.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Yeah, I'm kind of surprised myself because Martin Logan only rates the Descent I to 18hz. The only thing I can figure is that I have adjusted the Descent's 20hz eq knob to +4db and the 50hz knob to -3db when I first set up the sub. Maybe that boost at 20hz is working some magic in the infrabase as well
I will play with REW a little more tomorrow.
Is it placed in a corner? That will also help boost the low end. Other than that, I would think we should see the response naturally start to roll off and it is not.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts