Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a look at the REW sweep of my Martin Logan Descent I sub using a Behringer UCA202 as my sound card and a new Radio Shaft analog SPL meter.
Since I am a Noob at this, I would appreciate any input or advice.
Text Line Plot Slope Purple

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
I would appreciate any input or advice.
Very nice response. It certainly goes low. If you're not using any external EQ, then you're quite lucky - you don't need any....

Use the standard vertical axis of 45dB-105dB using the Graph Limits button in the top right corner of REW.. You're being kind to yourself with that wide axis you're using.

brucek

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks brucek for the suggestion about the graph. I still might buy a BFD to smooth out the spikes at 41 and 65 hz. Here is the adjusted graph...a little more ragged looking now that it is "zoomed in".
Text Line Green Plot Slope

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Still a fairly good response though. have you tried moving the sub around at all to better the peak at 40Hz? Sometimes a small change will affect a peak.

Did you also try moving the listening position mic around a few feet at least from the sweet spot to observe changes.

brucek

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I'm kind of surprised myself because Martin Logan only rates the Descent I to 18hz. The only thing I can figure is that I have adjusted the Descent's 20hz eq knob to +4db and the 50hz knob to -3db when I first set up the sub. Maybe that boost at 20hz is working some magic in the infrabase as well
I will play with REW a little more tomorrow.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Yeah, I'm kind of surprised myself because Martin Logan only rates the Descent I to 18hz. The only thing I can figure is that I have adjusted the Descent's 20hz eq knob to +4db and the 50hz knob to -3db when I first set up the sub. Maybe that boost at 20hz is working some magic in the infrabase as well
I will play with REW a little more tomorrow.
Is it placed in a corner? That will also help boost the low end. Other than that, I would think we should see the response naturally start to roll off and it is not.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts