Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.

So I got a CNC machine a few months back, I have been making little parts here and there and decided to make a speaker project.

These are going to be just small bookshelf speakers for the hobby room so will be space savers.

The drive units are generic OEM units so won't be anything spectacular these speakers will mostly be about the look!

Okay so here goes: CAD drawings:

I decided the wood veneer was not what I wanted, I think the black and silver looks much cleaner:

and here is were I am upto so far:

Thanks for looking!

Craig

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Way cool! I would love to have a CNC machine. The possibilities are endless. Congrats and have fun. I know you will.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Awesome styling, they really look great. I was going to ask about the top woofer and tweet being spaced fairly far apart and what crossover freq they'll be running at, but since this build is for looks I'm not sure it matters too much :T

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The speakers are relatively small only 12inches in height, The bass driver should be around 100hz and the tweeter/ mids will be about 3khz.

Thanks for the complements.

Craig

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Looks interesting, where do you get the design from. It looks a good project for a first attempt into speaker building.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks interesting, where do you get the design from. It looks a good project for a first attempt into speaker building.
The design was my own, I had 6 x 3inch drive units knocking about and decided to design a cabinet for them, I did take inspiration from other speakers and collaborated some of my favorite features together.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool stuff. So are you going to have the fourth bass driver in the side of the cab too?
Yeah, The drive unit for the bass I took out of another box, I enlarged by 0.5 of a liter and a slightly longer port just to extend the frequency slightly (but not so much to harm the driver, I hope)

I was thinking about buying on of these DIY amp kits you can get on eBay, they are a 2.1 amp and hook the subs up to the .1 channel.

I know it won't sound spectacular but for the hobby room it should be sufficient since its usually just back ground music.

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Sounds interesting. Obviously the rear woofer section would need to be completely sealed to isolate if from the forward section. I know 3 drivers can be a headache to wire up, so I'm interested to see how that works out. I suspect the woofer will probably struggle to keep up with the main drivers, but that shouldnt be an issue really if your not going to be playing these that loud.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds interesting. Obviously the rear woofer section would need to be completely sealed to isolate if from the forward section. I know 3 drivers can be a headache to wire up, so I'm interested to see how that works out. I suspect the woofer will probably struggle to keep up with the main drivers, but that shouldnt be an issue really if your not going to be playing these that loud.
HI mate, Yeah they are sealed, In the cross section picture you can see the partitioning wall.

I plan to use a series of Caps, Coils & resistors to balance out the volume and control the frequency between the bass driver and mid range.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How big of a cnc router do you have and where did you get something like that. I've always been interested in them.

It can machine 300mm x 400mm so it's not massive, just a small desktop machine really. I could make bigger speakers in prices then glue, fill and sand together.

I imported machine at a cost just under 2k

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
;'ll he honest, I have no idea how to work out ohms, I just presumed to wire everything in parallel, is series better!

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
In theory parallel is the best way, but it really depends on the final load you want for the amplifier. Each driver should have an ohm rating on it. I guessed at 8 ohm drivers, and 3 in parallel would give you about a 2-3 ohm load if my maths is any good.

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Just off the fly its may be better to run this as a two way or a two and a half way and run the woofers in pairs.
And if he did that but with 2 mid drivers in each cab instead of 3, he'd have a two spare mid drivers from which a matching centre could be thrown together.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Shoot, Robbo. Your thread here has gotten me to thinking... and ya, I will have a CNC machine someday :)

If you need help putting together a crossover, please ask! From the sounds of it that's where this project could use some improvement. We can all see that the cabs will be good to go.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts