Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

41 - 60 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
First picture is from Avatar, and I'll get a sample shipped off to Mech soon for gain testing! :)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Thanks! It's a Panasonic DMC-FZ150. Actually, I don't think it has as much dynamic range as the projector. There's a little bit of clipping going on in some of the photos that is not present with the PJ.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Could you post some pictures of the screen itself without playing a video? The screen looks amazing! Is the room a dedicated HT?

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Thanks! It's a Panasonic DMC-FZ150. Actually, I don't think it has as much dynamic range as the projector. There's a little bit of clipping going on in some of the photos that is not present with the PJ.
That is a common problem with most digital cameras and one of the many reasons that while screen photos are fun to look at they usually tell us little about the real image the screen/PJ is producing. No offense intended.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
That is a common problem with most digital cameras and one of the many reasons that while screen photos are fun to look at they usually tell us little about the real image the screen/PJ is producing. No offense intended.
None taken. :) I happen to agree with you completely.

@nickm: It was a dedicated home theater, but is undergoing remodeling at the moment. It's somewhat treated still, but the walls in back are white and the curtains are gone and some other things. It was completely treated--dark--before--but done kind of el-cheapo. I'm re-doing it properly this winter with black velvet drapes, quality dark carpet, etc. When I'm done it will not only be dark but should have a very classy look to it. That's my hope and plan anyways! I'll post some current pics here and update the progress over the winter.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Great, I was asking is because my room isn't dedicated. The best I can do is paint the walls a darker color in matte Finnish along with the cieling is gonna be white in same finnish. The carpet is will sill be the builder grade carpet. Bit as for the curtains we have the light blocking curtains. Really wish I could dedicate it but the wife wants to maintain the family room. It's 18x18' 6"

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Here's a couple of shots of the screen. The straight on shot was taken with a flash; notice the complete lack of a hotspot even with a flash. :) The weird reflections on the right side are the reflections of the audio gear from the flash. This equipment will be covered by a small black velvet curtain. The angled shot was taken with natural light, and it clearly shows the limitation of a white screen. Look at the lower right section of the screen; what you see there is the reflection off of the light colored carpet. My room will be completely light treated at the end of the remodel, until then I'll throw something cheap and dark down. I had some cheap dark carpet down that got given away while I was gone--since we were remodeling anyway. :rolleyesno: I might have waited on that if I was around for the decision... Re-carpeting will be the second to the last stage of the re-model and won't happen for 3 or 4 months. :(

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Is the brown above the screen a vaulted ceiling or is it just painted brown to keep the glare down? Also what color is your ceiling? Very nice setup, I'm getting alot of ideas just from these couple of pics for my room.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
@ Robsong: Infinity Cascades. I got them when Infinity was closing them out a while back. I love them, but you need a ton of power to drive them. Fortunately, the Yamaha Z-11 has plenty of juice! :) The subwoofers are DIY Infinity Baffle subs with 18" drivers. I REALLY love those! Those will get a heavy veneer and black speaker cloth in front. The Cascades have black speaker cloth grills which will get installed, although the speakers look better without them.

@Nickm: Standard 8 foot ceiling. It's dark charcoal black for the first 6 feet from the screen. I had material on the rest before. Tacky. I'll be painting the rest of the ceiling Charcoal Black as well. The color of the screen wall will be the color of all the walls. But they'll be covered by black velvet curtains, so it will really look just like a trim color where it peaks out from behind the curtains. The left side of the theater will be separated from the rest of the entertainment room by heavy black velvet curtains which will be pulled back for all but movie watching. The carpet will be a very dark gray and the furniture is black. The glass coffee table will go away.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thats a good idea. I think I can get away with painting the vaulted part just above the screen a dark color, and go with something that has some tint to it for the ceiling. Where do you get the black velvet curtains from? I have a 4' arched doorway open to the balcony/ upstairs foyer that I would like to isolate from when I watch movies, and leave open during regular viewing hours.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I made an interesting discovery--that should have been obvious--yesterday while doing some analysis on my screen. When testing I found that it did not reflect projected light as brightly as my original test sample. In fact, it measured almost 10% dimmer. :scratch: So, I got a brush out and quickly painted a new sample. Sure enough, after drying it was almost as bright as the original sample.

Why the difference? I'm sure guys like harp and Mech already know the answer: I sprayed very fine coats, so fine that they dried to a texture like very fine sandpaper. With some other paints--lets not throw stones--you need that to limit the hotspotting. What I did was artificially create a Very, very flat texture, as opposed to the paint's Velvet Matte sheen. The result? Less gain and less hotspotting as the light is dispersed more evenly in all directions. The thing is, this paint doesn't hotspot anyway, so I just reduced the gain. Samples will go to Mech to confirm this as soon as the new sample cures a bit. (To prevent damage during shipping.)

Why the difference between the original sample and the new sample? The original sample was rolled and dried to a very smooth finish. My new sample was a quickie job and brushed on, resulting in some texture.

So, will I be re-painting? If I was still lumen challenged, yes. But I'm getting 21 fL anyways--in ECO. In fact, it might just have been a little too bright if it was smooth. Plus, I absolutely love the picture. it is so sharp and vivid and completely grain/artifact free. I'm wondering if that slight sandpapery texture helps this out? I checked out the screen at Cinetopia--a VERY high quality theater--and it had a sandpapery texture as well... Regardless, I'm so thrilled with the PQ that I wouldn't dare change a thing right now. But it would be good to know for future DIY guys...

41 - 60 of 125 Posts