Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys

Finally I managed to persuade my wife to give transform our "room for random stashing" into a home cinema. I have some experience with stereo setups so i am really looking forward to dig into the world of surround sound.

I am on a limited budget however my plan is to achieve the highest 5.1 cinema experience possible with what i have got, so much of my equipment is bought second hand.

I plan to run all of it through my computer with XBMC (preferably my 2011 mac mini) and i also plan to use dirac live room correction as i have had very good results with this on my stereo setup.

So far i have gathered the following equipment:

Receiver : Integra 80.1
Source : Mac mini 2012 running XBMC with dirac live
Subwoofer : XTZ 12"
Projector : BenQ W1000
Screen : 90" gain 1.0 roller blind, cut out and fastened to screen frame
Speakers : Not 100% sure about this but I am currently very interested in the upcomming xtz cinema series

Here are some pictures of my plans and some of the stuff :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,794 Posts
Looks like it is going to be real nice.

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
Gonna follow this, love seeing a room come together.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks alot everyone!

Subscribed - yay for a new build thread!

One question - it appears you are doing an AT screen and putting the front stage speakers behind it. Is there a reason why you are choosing bookshelfs for the L/R rather than floor standers?
I am jusing a regular non AT projector screen canvas but the rest of the screen wall will be made with speaker grill cloth.

I am going for a bookshelf monitor setup as it is my understanding that bookshelfs with a subwoofer is easier to control in a small room (mine is only 13 square meters) compared to floor standers. At least that is what i experienced in my living room with a stereo setup.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Thanks alot everyone!

I am jusing a regular non AT projector screen canvas but the rest of the screen wall will be made with speaker grill cloth.

I am going for a bookshelf monitor setup as it is my understanding that bookshelfs with a subwoofer is easier to control in a small room (mine is only 13 square meters) compared to floor standers. At least that is what i experienced in my living room with a stereo setup.
Thanks for the explanation mate - was curious is all.

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Nice work! That will be easy to fill with some sound, difficult with the reflections. Are you building some panels for sound treatment?

edit - I just saw the rendering. You have it covered!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hello all

I have made some progress so i here come some more pictures. I did reserve some space in the beginning of the thread but it looks like i cannot edit them and post pictures so they will follow from here

I have done some tests with REQ sub woofer simulator which persuaded me to go for a 2 sub woofer setup. Here are the simulated results and pictures

Attachments

·
Registered
683 Posts
Looks like you have an awesome cozy theater there! What are your plans with the door on the right? Looks like it's the only entrance into the room, but lots of light would be coming through there as well.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks like you have an awesome cozy theater there! What are your plans with the door on the right? Looks like it's the only entrance into the room, but lots of light would be coming through there as well.
Yes, i have replaced the door with a windowless one for total darkness :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Time for another update :)

A lot has happent since my last post and i the room is now at a stage where it can be taken into use.

I have moved my livingroom stereo speakers into the cinema room and have done a bit of testing. I have come to the conclusion that my screen is not good enough and has to be changed - and i have listended to your suggestions and ordered a Seymour UF audio transparent screen. The old one will be taken down and the new be put up during the next weekend.

I have also decided to put up another row of wall panels as there still was some flutter echo when clapping at the listening position.

Here are some pictures

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts