Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a link to my HTPC web pages. They describe how I built it. What software I considered and eventually chose, and how it operates. I currently have 2 TB of storage on external Linux servers to feed the DVD portion of the unit.

http://www.cwitt.com/htpc_title.htm

Chuck

·
Registered
539 Posts
Hey Chuck.

Awesome HTPC, it sounds like it was a huge project for you and it's great that you documented it. A lot of people could benefit from your experience.

If I were to critique your site ...

The "Home" page is more of a Links page, plus there is no way to get back to what looks like the main hub of your site: http://www.cwitt.com/htpc_title.htm

“Comments” makes me think of an interactive feature letting others leave comments as in a blog. If I am missing something I appologize for my cranial density. I'd call it something like ... My Home Made HTPC odyssey or How I built My HTPC – If I can do it, so can you!

I like how you keep a consistent menu with “Comments, Tech Desc, Pics, Home” through most pages, I’d stick that little menu on the actual “home” page and rename that page “links”.

Awesome HTPC. I built one too and it was a journey similar to yours, discovering what you can and can’t do etc. I used the same CPU you did. I don’t have nearly your storage level but I’ve been using storage on other computers in the house networked up. I have a net drive hub that allows me to hook many older IDE drives to it for extra storage. The array appears as one drive on my computer.

Oh, and I love that big honkin fan!

Did you give your HTPC a name?

Mine is named Zythus.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE:
Awesome HTPC, it sounds like it was a huge project for you and it's great that you documented it. A lot of people could benefit from your experience.

Thank you.

If I were to critique your site ...

Well, if you were...... The first page says it all. "A Handy Place To Put Stuff". My web site sits on an old Linux box, a P3 500 Mhz dual CPU in the rack in my office at home. By day I am a network admin and have no dreams or aspirations to build a web site. It is all done in basic HTML and it is just a place to put stuff, no dancing bunnies or fluff. So, yeah, it is just a collection of links.

The "Home" page is more of a Links page, plus there is no way to get back to what looks like the main hub of your site: http://www.cwitt.com/htpc_title.htm

True

Awesome HTPC. I built one too and it was a journey similar to yours, discovering what you can and can’t do etc. I used the same CPU you did. I don’t have nearly your storage level but I’ve been using storage on other computers in the house networked up. I have a net drive hub that allows me to hook many older IDE drives to it for extra storage. The array appears as one drive on my computer.

Over time, I have realized that it is a bad idea to keep the drives that hold the media on the HTPC. SO I have a Linux box that holds the media on another server and I just keep adding drives. If you notice, the motherboard is a one of a kind (only 3 models were ever produced) that is licensed from Dolby to do Dolby Digital processing in the chipset. It was known as the "Soundstream" chipset, I beleive. It never caught on and hasn't been done since then.

Oh, and I love that big honkin fan!

Yes, the Zalman fan is kind of neat, isn't it?

Did you give your HTPC a name?

All the computers on my home network have names from "The Little Rascals", but I have more computers now than little rascal names.

Mine is named Zythus.
Cool!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am in the middle of trying to finalize my HTPC approach. It seems that the more I learn
from reading various comments and problems I seem to be getting further from a solution
rather than closer. Has anyone had any experience with buying ready made solutions like
the HP Z565 or Z560 ? Oh, by the way. Zythus is a cheap Egyptian Beer by at least one
definition.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts