Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a HUGE Creative Sound Solutions (CSS) fan and when Bob at CSS put their demo line arrays up for sale last fall, I could not resist. I rented a Yukon XL and road tripped to the Canadian border with my wife to pick them up. I've been in love ever since! We picked up the matching rear towers as well, just needed a center channel...

Open baffle sub towers have been replaced with a single Rythmik FV15HP in the corner to free up placement of the line arrays.

My goal was to have an all-out performer capable of keeping up with the Lambda Plus towers and able to dig deep if needed (the self-powered 8's in the Lambda Plus arrays are a force to be reckoned with...added to the Rythmik, bass performance is fantastic). Although RAW closed its doors in 2009, Al agreed to build the center for me after I reached out to him on diyaudio, very nice guy! Sounds like he will start building other systems soon which is great, I'm already saving up for two more side channels to make my system 7.1.

Al at RAW recommended four of the new CSS LDW7 woofers, two Wavecor 120 mids and the new CSS RT2 ribbon. He posted progress pictures recently on diyaudio and I thought I'd share them here because I am so excited to hear the finished product alongside the rest of my RAW lineup. I'm picking it up from Al's in British Columbia in a few weeks and I will be sure to document the journey.

Rough layout:

Top view of cabinet with all braces and slot ports:

Assembled cabinet compared to PE .5cft cabinet V2 speaker:

Full assembled down for 50-60 hrs of break in before crossover design:

Matching Sapele Pommele ribbon veneer:

Enjoy!

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Wow those look killer. Great setup. Is that an OB subwoofer system?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is, six Acoustic Elegance OB15 drivers powered by a Peavey IPR3000DSP. They've all since been sold to free up space but by far my favorite sounding low end that I have ever heard.

·
Registered
205 Posts
That's a nice set up. Pretty good looking speakers as well. I'm hoping to one day audition those speakers. They look mean! :T

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Happy to demo for you or anyone else if you're ever in the Seattle area. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
SO what are you using for subs then?

Does it even compare to your old OB setup?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I now use a single Rythmik FV15HP in the left corner. The Rythmik servo system is the closest I have heard to the transparency and "feel" of open baffle bass but it will also pressurize the room which is fun for movies.

Having said that, I do dearly miss the OB setup and I don't think I'll be able to find that same sound without going back to it. I'm now planning a dedicated two channel system for our next home which will have Acoustic Elegance Dipole15 drivers to match the RAAL dipole ribbons and AE Dipole6 mids I have stored in my office closet. Can't wait :)

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
That is impressive looking I'm sure it will sound awesome as well. The wait must be killing you, could you tell us how much it will cost?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is impressive looking I'm sure it will sound awesome as well. The wait must be killing you, could you tell us how much it will cost?
I'd contact Al at RAW, [email protected] to get a quote if you are interested. Because of how customized these can get, the price for mine probably isn't a good indicator of other options (for example, my veneer was $250 just for the raw material directly from the supplier but a regular matte finish would be a big cost savings if desired).

He does a smaller design as well with two woofers, one mid and one ribbon. You can even choose your binding post and plate finishes, it was a fun process :D Yes, I can't wait to hear it but for Al's workmanship I don't mind the wait one bit. :)

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I'd contact Al at RAW, [email protected] to get a quote if you are interested. Because of how customized these can get, the price for mine probably isn't a good indicator of other options (for example, my veneer was $250 just for the raw material directly from the supplier but a regular matte finish would be a big cost savings if desired). He does a smaller design as well with two woofers, one mid and one ribbon. You can even choose your binding post and plate finishes, it was a fun process :D Yes, I can't wait to hear it but for Al's workmanship I don't mind the wait one bit. :)
If I did that I would need the rest of my speakers to match:). And I don't think the wife would go for that:(. Our center was around $800 so I can only wonder how high yours will finish at. Can't wait to see the finished product.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Haha, you're OCD like me, otherwise I would have skipped the matching veneer. You'd be surprised how reasonable his rates are and the new Triton kits are going to be incredible.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Veneer is on! I talked to Al over the weekend and the speaker is now at the cabinet maker's for sanding/finishing. I am extremely excited!!!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Wow those look killer. Great setup. Is that an OB subwoofer system?
No the Apex C is a twin slot ported design tuned to just below 30HZ...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/12527331805/in/set-72157639877858246/

Find some more info here

Ya I have been out for a few years but been busy for the last few years designing for several companies.
A lot for CSS with 10 more designs coming for CSS.As I do not have my shop anylonger it is a lot of work for me to build one off projects.I did this Apex C in the same veneer to match the Lambda arrays I did for CSS years which we took to RMAF 2004 with Dan Wiggins..

·
Registered
175 Posts

Frequency response from 0 to 40 off axis horizontally.

These Apex C ranged from 1600.00 up depending on the veneer as well as crossover components.

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Looks pretty awesome down to 50hz. :T

I would have loved to have chatted with Dan Wiggins. Jealous of you there. :D

·
Registered
175 Posts
Thanks ya in room as you can see not too bad ;)

Dan Wiggins yes I spent many days driving down to spend even 2hrs with Dan learning Praxis how to use and do acoustic measurements then also LSPCAD Pro.Dan was someone who I could spend a lot of time with and he was more than generous to show me whatever i wanted to learn.

Nothing like driving across the border driving to Lynnwood (2hr drive including clearing customs) to spend 2 or 3hrs with him some times 2 times a week.

Man well over 10yrs ago now..

·
Registered
175 Posts
Haha, you're OCD like me, otherwise I would have skipped the matching veneer. You'd be surprised how reasonable his rates are and the new Triton kits are going to be incredible.
Just noticed you said Triton no correction the new kits are CRITON 1 and Criton 2 each using a pair of the LDW7 woofers in a sealed cabinet tuned to 57hz.And the MLTL plans are just finishing which will put them down in the low 30hz range easy.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just noticed you said Triton no correction the new kits are CRITON 1 and Criton 2 each using a pair of the LDW7 woofers in a sealed cabinet tuned to 57hz.And the MLTL plans are just finishing which will put them down in the low 30hz range easy.
Ha, thanks for catching that, major typo on my part.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts