Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My "Hyperion" SI 18D2 build

First time posting here. long time reader. ill start my sub thread off with a Iphone shot of the finished product and work my way backwards.

When I ran across Stereo Integrity talks on the forum I was instantly intrigued and the price was unbeatable, and remains so. SO I figured I whip up a build that looked as good as the sound I was looking for. This is what I ended up with. 31 layers of ¾” sanded pine laminate. Endlessly sanded and coated in epoxy. The build was based off a similar design on another forum, much credit goes to him and the help he provided in my planning.

I am running the sub off an EP4000(Wal-Mart price rocks) @ 4ohm load and will be purchasing a minidsp shortly to get it tuned in just right. Future plans are to build my entire surround in a similar style. After seeing this beast in a temporary location next to some MDF towers….they must all look like this.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
SO this is based off of the 21" subwoofer design you saw?

Corocks

I remember that build very well. I almost was going to do the same thing with my pair of 21's.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep. That's the one. Loved it. Had to have it. Went 18" for my first attempt. He was very helpful with tips to help get it started. Will likely build a matching one after I build the surrounds. I went with a sealed wooden top for now. He sealed the top with granite. Not sure what ill top myn with at the moment.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,280 Posts
That is an amazing build, and totally unique. Very well done indeed. Dare I ask how much it weighs?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No clue on weight. No scales in the house. Ill say not overly heavy. Not lite by any stretch. I had to build and move everything solo(small wife).Forgot the weight on the SI 18(28lb?) maybe 70-80lb total?

·
Registered
683 Posts
That is an awesome looking sub! That was definitely a great design to follow. Did you discover any tricks that helped you streamline the build process compared to the original designer's build? Really nice work :T

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yes...Buy your wife a day or 2 at the spa :huh:

It took a good bit of man hours to go through the process. I defiantly learned A LOT during the build and what to do next time. As far as streamlining…make sure you have a plan,tools, and a bunch of sand paper.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,280 Posts
Unless you used balsa that pile of wood -- along with the driver -- has got to weigh a whole lot more then 70-80 pounds. Are you Hercules or something? :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can move it around with no speaker pretty well. I cant say really. The wall thickness is around 3/4" and front "baffle" is between 1.5-2". Over all dems are like 22 X 22 x 24(give or take some). So without the bracing its weight is equivalent to about a 2’ cubic foot box out of 3/4" wood.

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Dont forget that more 85% of the wood/weight is being removed for this build.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,280 Posts
That makes more sense to me - I didn't realize so much of the wood was being removed, I figured it was more along the lines of 50%.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
:thankyou: it turned out better than i could have imagined. even without a dsp this thing goes DEEP :hsd:

sorry for the iphone shots.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts