Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I'm way too excited to create a proper thread but I shall do my best. I'm using the plans from this thread and this thread. Once I figure out how to upload pictures directly to the forum, I will do so. I already have pics of the wood cut out and I will update as I get more pictures. It's being made out of select-ply void free birch and may be stained in the future. I chose this instead of MDF because of weight and I'm not opposed to it looking good.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Once I figure out how to upload pictures directly to the forum, I will do so. I already have pics of the wood cut out and I will update as I get more pictures.
You can use our gallery or an external photo server such as Photobucket. If you use the HTS gallery, you simply hit the gallery button above right. That will open the image gallery. In that window/tab you would select upload. Then you have to select a category or create a new one. I'd suggest creating a new one called "SirCron's Mach 5 IXL" or something similar. Make sure you select a parent category on the bottom. If you do not you'll have to start all over again. I'd suggest the DIY sub parent category. At this point you can upload your photos, 12 at a time. Once they are all uploaded, they will be accessible from the 'MY PHOTOS' link on the menu bar when you reply to or create a post. :T

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I didn't see the category for it so I was weary of posting it. I'll use photobucket for now until I get the next set of pics.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's still one thing left to be decided. Where to place the speaker terminals. This will be wedged into tight spaces at times and that will be a factor...

·
Registered
85 Posts
You could also recess the terminals into the box...

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I think what I'm going to do is have a groove along the side that gets deeper is it goes along and have two banana plugs in the wood at an angle so I can plug in easily. Bottom is not an option as the port is on the bottom. I'm wondering about filler, does this thing need any? I tried to get in contact with people that have built these to no avail. I can run off to Wal-Mart or Sears or another store with cheap cheap pillows if need be (I hear that's what people use).

I updated the OP with wood info.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I think Walmart also has polyfill if you want to go that route. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it comes in 16oz bags.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh neat. I just have to find out if I NEED to have it in there. I keep finding conflicting information.

·
Registered
85 Posts
You can always try the box with out the polyfill/pillows and to see if it is necessary. All you should have to do to add it later is to pull the driver and stuff away...:D

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Yes but is it added to the port area? How is it put in? Does it lay flat against? These are the things I do not know >.<. Oh , other reply. I haven't used WinISD as it was all to finicky with me. From the threads I was looking at, the tuning should be about 12.5hz.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My question is WHERE to put the pillows. Only in the back cavern, leaving the port untouched? First think I'm doing is flattening that thing out with an EQ that will bring down any all too high frequencies and boost the lower ones and leave it flat around 500 watts (for now). My question about the graph is, why isn't there a gain around 18hz as the free air resonance is 17.7hz?

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
My question is WHERE to put the pillows. Only in the back cavern, leaving the port untouched? First think I'm doing is flattening that thing out with an EQ that will bring down any all too high frequencies and boost the lower ones and leave it flat around 500 watts (for now). My question about the graph is, why isn't there a gain around 18hz as the free air resonance is 17.7hz?
Pillows go only in the back cavern and nowhere near the port intake as you don't want top block to the opening of the port. As for EQ, you will need to measure the response of the sub in room first to determine what it needs. Regarding the gain at 18 hz, the graph doesn't take into account any room gain you may get, also the 12.5hz tuning frequency gives you lower low end extension at the expense of overall SPL compared to a higher tuning frequency.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Mike. Great help as always. In the past few days, I have learned alot about low frequency reproduction, including the physics involving the wavelength formation, speed of sound and room limitations. I can't wait to tinker around with the new sub when it's finished. :D

I got all the hardware (minus the banana plugs and jacks) from www.tchweb.com . The products are great and so are the staff

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Well it's done and has been toyed with since Saturday. Bit of leaks around the mount so I'll get some weather stripping or something for that.... and then sell it >.<. Honestly, it's too much. I was feeding it using my Yamaha G100 guitar amp (flat and coloured sound FTW) with the volume at 12 o'clock (so only feeding it about 40-60 watts) and it was crazy. Next time I think I'll just go with a 12" sonotube build. I'll upload pics though.

From here on in, it will just be designing and building smallish bookshelf enclosures that reach down to 40-50hz.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts