Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Having had only store bought speakers until now and feeling the satisfaction of DIYing a subwoofer with success I started to wonder what DIY would do for my mains . An inexpensive MTM using high quality drivers was exactly what the doctor ordered :laugh: So, I've decided on the enclosure size of 1.0cu.ft to tune it to around 32hz. This yields an F3 of 50hz with usable output into the low 30's according to unibox. In my small ~13x10x8 room this may get me where I need to be, without a sub since they'll be used for 90% music 10%ht,videogames.

So far I've ordered the BOM, ports, and acoustic treatment. I've attached some pics of the current progress.

The Dayton drivers in the pic will be used only for testing of the crossover components if I don't have the actual drivers in hand by the time the crossover is completed.

Attachments

·
Registered
237 Posts
Re: My Natalie P project

Great to see you're making progress! What's funny is a few years ago that crossover would have looked really complex to me. Well, after building my huge towers those things look real simple. You should see the 20 some odd caps I had to wire all in parallel to equal one large value cap...I don't think I'll be doing that again if I can help it!

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Brian, :laugh: build my crossovers please :) Afterall, it'll be nothing more than a walk in the park for you... hehe

I think everything is comming along...this crossover was much more intimidating before understanding the schematic. You mention paralleling multiple caps? Wow, that must've been a huge crossover. I've only paralleled two caps in two places :yes:

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

One down, one to go.

Tested with midwoofer and works! Pretty good for a first attempt.

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

The RS28A's are out of stock until ~July 1st :( Looks like I wont be making much progress until then. I will be posting back with updates every now and then. I've decided on using the cheapo birch ply from Home depot for the enclosure. MDF was just way too messy

·
Registered
237 Posts

Well, that stinks. But at least it's just around the corner. And they're well worth the wait. I should be ordering one for my center channel around that time.

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Meh...now it says july 3rd :(
Brian, which center? the WMTW center?
If so, how are the TMWW mains?

And...Would an HK AVR 235 be ample enough power to drive the 4ohm Natalie P's? I'll be upgrading to a dedicated 2-channel amp down the line but am a bit insecure about the 4ohm load.:scratch:

·
Registered
237 Posts

Yes, the WMTW center. I can't speak to the TMWW's since I didn't build them but I expect them to be very good. I'm probably going with the version that cjd designed since he did the crossover for my big towers. I'd expect the sound to be similar. If you're going with a specific designer's center then I'd use his XO design for the towers as well.

I think the HK would do fine with them. My dad has one of the more entry level Sherwood Newcastle receivers running his MTMWW speakers we built for him and things are just fine.

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Glad to hear I'll have enough power. Thanks.

Brian, I assume you have some experience with the Rs28a tweeter. I've seen many people say it rolls off relatively sooner than say the Seas 27TDFC used in the Modula MT design (possibly my next project :)) this has me a little bit worried. I wouldv'e like the Natalie P's to provide at least a bit more "air" in the highs than my current NHT's. How would you describe the RS28a's tonal quality?

Edit: I may go with the 3/4" MDF again to build the cabinets, Birch ply is very hard to find around here...

Edit: Update, RS180's will be arriving tomorrow :)

·
Registered
237 Posts

The RS28A does taper off on the top end, but my hearing starts going above 17KHz or so. So this is not a big deal to me. I honestly don't think that you'll be missing anything.

As far as sound, the tweeter is very neutral. It isn't the least bit harsh. Just nice, clean sound and great power handling.

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Meh, looks like they have just the shielded version in stock...The crossover is designed for the unshielded version unfortunately. Thanks a million though. Know of any other places?

Flash, I'll be making a trip back to HD tomorrow, probably to get some MDF if they dont have the Baltic Birch. I don't have a local Rockler :( and definitely didn't know about Apple ply.

Oh, be sure to never ask HD to make exact cuts. Let them cut your peices slightly larger so you can flush trim everything to even things out Its always better to have a larger peice and trim. I've had them cut a few peices up to 1/4" too small accidentily :rant:

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

FlashJim said:
I've got a garage full of tools. :)
Good to know, now I know where to go if I ever need to borrow tools.:devil:

If the shielded tweeters will work I'll go ahead and order them :R There is no re-assurance that it'll work with this crossover though..

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

The quadruplets have arrived!

Sorry about the blurry pics...My friend misplaced the USB cable for the digicam, so I am using the cell phone..

1 - 20 of 101 Posts