Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a new Electric screen that can be stopped at any point you wish. This got me thinking about movies with those black bars at top and bottom, my Projector has power shift so my thought was to shift image up to rid the screen of top black bars, then drop screen to point where picture is cropped so black bars are not present......this worls fantastic!
For those who dont have the funds, ability to do Anamorphic or the desire to go through all the hassle this solution should be explored. There is just something about not seeing the black bars at top and bottom that makes a movie more enjoyable. Maybe this isnt all that big of a deal but I think its fantastic and hope others will try this. Cheers

·
Registered
303 Posts
With a black front wall, I don't even notice black bars.

Besides, by shifting the image up, it would no longer be in the correct location for proper viewing.

I'd rather have the screen at the correct height and black bars (if they're noticeable), then no black bars and an image that's too high.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
As long as the shifted image isn't so high it causes physical discomfort to view it, Chad's solution sounds good to me. :huh:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How do you suppose 6in of shift is going to make viewing uncomfortable? I am only going 92in so the shift isnt extreme. So dont do it if you dont want I just was trying to post something I thought was a possible benefit to others.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
How do you suppose 6in of shift is going to make viewing uncomfortable? I am only going 92in so the shift isnt extreme. So dont do it if you dont want I just was trying to post something I thought was a possible benefit to others.
I don't think it would be a problem at all unless the HT seating was atypical and the seats at some strange angle so the head would have to be tilted oddly to view the image. With only a 6 inch shift I would think head position wouldn't change enough to matter unless one is setting very close to the screen and some strange seat positions were in use. At least one of the HT calculators we link to here takes physical viewing angle into account, but I forget which one.

It's cool that your screen will stop before the screen if fully deployed so this technique can work. :T

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think it would be a problem at all unless the HT seating was atypical and the seats at some strange angle so the head would have to be tilted oddly to view the image. With only a 6 inch shift I would think head position wouldn't change enough to matter unless one is setting very close to the screen and some strange seat positions were in use. At least one of the HT calculators we link to here takes physical viewing angle into account, but I forget which one.

It's cool that your screen will stop before the screen if fully deployed so this technique can work. :T
Yea I was bored when it hit me I could do this, I watched 5th Element (never saw it but was in my collection) yesterday and was thrilled with results.............it just looked cooler to not see the bars but then again I have no life so this may not mean much to others lol:coocoo:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts