Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the parts ordered before Christmas, and now getting to work on the cabinets - here's a few pictures:

The top is the open end (will be), I plan on covering the top opening with a little grill, round over the sides of the baffle, veneer the sides, and paint the baffle black. I'll probably also add a bit wider base to keep them from being tippy.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After stalling for a couple months, getting slowed down by trying to figure out how to finish them, and other activities, finally finished these up.

Here's a few pics the lighting / camera seems to make the front more pink than in reality:

here's one of the crossovers, used 1/8" masonite for the board:

My initial test setup - iPhone running Pandora to $20 Lepai amp, in a garage. I've since brought them into my home office, and now using the same Lepai amp to drive them from foobar2000 running on a laptop, with VST plugin based software EQ.

·
Registered
363 Posts
They sure look pretty.
You sir, are an inspiration.
I just know that seeing these will end up costing me some money.
I should have known better than to look.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. :bigsmile:

Dusty, re: "these will end up costing me some money" - consider it payback! :spend: I have a feeling Stentorians will be on my list sooner or later.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Those look awesome, nice work! I really like the rear-mounted woofers. That being said, I'm curious about the rear mounting of the tweets having a horn effect. Is that intended?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those look awesome, nice work! I really like the rear-mounted woofers. That being said, I'm curious about the rear mounting of the tweets having a horn effect. Is that intended?
Thanks fusseli. Re: the rear mounting of the tweeters - I didn't come up with the speaker design, its based on the TLAH plans that I purchased from Bill Fitzmaurice - although I guess I did use more than a little artistic license interpreting it (not quite enough for Bill to tell me "stop you idiot", which he is not shy in doing on occassion :paddle:). The plans do discuss both front and rear mounted tweeters, and suggest roundover if rear mounted, which I did. I suppose it does have some effect vs. flush mount, but I'd only be speculating on what that effect might be (narrowing the horizontal dispersion??).

·
Elite Shackster , HTS Moderator Emeritus
2,216 Posts
Those look great. Turned out really well. Definitely let us know how they end up performing.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got REW working with the ability to measure results of software EQ.

Here's the before:

Here's after EQ (w/ house curve):

I didn't bother trying to boost the L below 80, will likely eventually add a sub and crossover there - difference probably caused by some room and LP/mic assymetry.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have you had a chance for some extended listening yet?
Have been using them off and on for a few days, but since I've been fiddling with different software solutions for EQ, and EQ settings, can't really say its extended / critical listening - more like just tuning. I think I've got them about where I want them, and will stop fiddling and just listen now.

·
Elite Shackster , HTS Moderator Emeritus
2,216 Posts
Nice. I got measurement-crazy a while back and you can agonize over every little bump. Just enjoy, let your ears be critical and use the measurements only if/when you think you might have a problem (like needing a crossover tweak or notch filter or something).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts