Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got my dedicated Home Theater completed. Got REW installed and working. Now I need to put it all together and see what I can get out of it. First some logistics.

The room is 16 by 26. Two rows of seats. The rear seats are on a riser made to be a bass trap. It is open at the bottom of the joists and filled with insulation. There are seven operable vents around the three edges and it is not connected to the wall at any point. I’ve attached a jpg that shows the layout.

There are 15 speakers in all.

Behind the AT screen are speakers for Left, Right and Center. They are identical and full range as they include 12” woofers. Also there are two 18” subs connected to channel A on a iNuke 6000DSP.

In the room are two more 18” woofers connected to channel B on the iNuke 6000DSP.

Then there are 8 identical coaxial speaker for the four Surrounds and four Atmos. These contain 10” woofers.

For electronics these all run through a Denon x7200wa AVR.
The four subs go through the iNuke 6000DSP
The rear atmos speakers go through an iNuke 3000DSP. (The Denon only has 9 amps).

So, with that laid out I am a total beginner when it comes to REW. I have read through the guide multiple time and have run some initial measurements. I still am not sure what I am looking at or if what I have is good or horrible.

What is the best way for you all to give me some feedback and direction? Shall I include graphs or is it better to just unload the data files? If yes on the graphs is the waterfall the best? What about decay and resonance?

Anyway that’s my start. I’ll include the room layout and the file for the initial measurements for Left, Center, Right, Sub1 and Sub2.
Thanks and I look forward to your input.
George M

View attachment Initial Measurments.mdat Theater.jpg

·
Super Moderator
9,252 Posts

Recommended graph parameters for frequency response are explained here.

I like to use 1/3-octave smoothing for full-range graphs, as it gives a visual that’s comparable to what you are actually hearing. Frequency response is acceptable for the front three speakers.

For subs, use an unsmoothed graph. Your front subs are pretty impressive showing response down to 15 Hz. Some parametric equalization to smooth the peak between 60-125 Hz would audibly improve the sound.

However, the room subs, not nearly as impressive for a pair of 18-inchers, not even reaching to 25 Hz. Most decent 10-inchers can do that good. I expect that poor placement is the culprit.

Running both sets of subs will drag down overall system performance to that of the lesser subs.

Waterfall for the subs looks typical. These graphs are really only useful for comparing “before and after” low frequency room treatments.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Wayne,
The front subs should go down to 15hz. They are ported and I will play with the ports to see what I can do. I am out of town right now but will return on Mon and report back here.

George M

1 - 3 of 3 Posts