Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just learning REW and starting to get the hang of it. I'm a sucker for data and needed to know what my sub was doing in my room. Room is 19' Length, Left wall - 8' right wall 11', ceiling - 8'. Opened to the Stairs, hallway to entryway, dining room, and a hole (roughly 6' x 8') in the ceiling connected to the master bedroom. Pictures are much easier to describe things...

First Attachment:
Grey Subwoofer: Original Location
Red Subwoofer: New Location
Yellow Subwoofer: Test Location

Second Attachment:
Red Line = New Location of Sub

Third Attachment:
Yellow Line = Test Location of Sub

Fourth Attachment:
Combined View

Sub: A2-300
Crossover: 60hz

I never got to test the sub in its exact Original location, doesn't really matter as it can't go back there. I was "allowed" to get this sub only if it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. So I'm limited in where it can be moved, and its final resting place has been chosen. If moving the sub is the only way to get rid of that dip, I'm screwed. :( I don't want to throw too much money in treating this room. Lemme rephrase that, I'm not gonna spend any money on this room. This hobby is expensive. hahaha. No the real reason is there's a possibility I'll be moving soon. With my luck I could get everything perfect and then I'll have to take it down to move.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The yellow postion looks much better; too bad you can’t use that one.

Is that corner back there between the couches a possibility?

Regards,
Wayne
hmmmmm maybe.... it depends on who you ask. :) I told my GF about the dip i had and she asked is there anything you can do about it? Why yes I can! So while she was off at school, I did a little rearranging.

1st Attempt: Sub in right rear corner, port facing forward

I ran REW with the same cal file, same volume setting on my receiver, but I got a horrible graph. So I moved the couch in order to move the sub back to where it was (RED location), then moved the couch back and reran REW. This time REW through up an error (Low signal level). Calibrated the SPL meter with REW again, only thing I did was change the Receiver volume from -21 to -16. Reran the test and it was worst. The dip between 30 and 40 was still there, but I lost everything below 60.

I'm just gonna scrape my settings and start from scratch and redo all my tests... But that means a free weekend, and that means not happening for awhile. Thanks for the suggestion though Wayne.

Attached the following graphs... DOH! wrong setting in the graph :(

1st Attachment: Sub in Right Rear Corner
2nd Attachment: Sub in "Red" location
3rd Attachment: Yesterday's test and Today's test in "Red" location

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, something definitely isn't right there. Did you have the "C-weighting" box checked in REW? Also, set the meter itself set to "C" weighting, not "A" (although I could be wrong about that...).

Regards,
Wayne
I'm 99% sure the C weighted was checked, and 100% sure the SPL meter was on C/slow. I'm thinking I probably goofed up something so I'll just start from scratch and do all my tests the same day as well. Right now I'm using my HTPC to run REW, gonna see of my GF's laptop is up for the task. It'll make it easier for me. I got a bedroom system I wanna try too :) not looking for anything great as its just a HTiB.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

A small trick to facilitate you the life.
Put the subwoofer in the place where you usually sit and put the microphone in differents places where you would like to see your subwoofer, make your measures for each of these places, the best result will indicate where to put you subwoofer.
What software did you use to make your illustration please?

Patrice
(Sorry fo my English :huh: )

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi,

A small trick to facilitate you the life.
Put the subwoofer in the place where you usually sit and put the microphone in differents places where you would like to see your subwoofer, make your measures for each of these places, the best result will indicate where to put you subwoofer.
What software did you use to make your illustration please?

Patrice
(Sorry fo my English :huh: )
The subwoofer crawl test!!!! I completely forgot about that. I mentioned that to my GF once and she gave me the you've gone crazy look. That is something I will try when I have some time. I have her parents visiting for a week, so can't do it now.

Oh the floor plan was created using floorplanner . com
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok one question I need some clarification on. I think I know the answer but if I'm wrong it'll save me time and energy. What can I say, I'm lazy. Okay if I were to do my tests over again, is it necessary to move the furniture back to it place? Or can I just remove the loveseat and do my tests? My previous test, I moved everything back. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't working too hard.

Regarding the subwoofer crawl test, I'll have to move the couch out of the room, but won't that mess up the simulated test for the sub in the corner? The two couches make a type of enclosure along with the walls. Im assuming that will be a factor. Ok so I lied about having just one question. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
486 Posts
The only thing that should move is the subs. Everything else should stay the way the room will be when listening to music/movies.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
So do you place the sub on your couch in the listening position and then crawl around ?

I have also wondered about how to perfrom the crawl test.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The only thing that should move is the subs. Everything else should stay the way the room will be when listening to music/movies.
So I can't just put the sub in my main listening area and make measurements where I want the sub to go? It makes sense that way, just thought there was a secret shortcut or something. Thanks.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Yes, or the best thing is to place the SPL meter in the different locations and use REW to measure.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So do you place the sub on your couch in the listening position and then crawl around ?

That was my understanding of the crawl test. But I wasnt too thrilled about putting a sub on the couch, so I was gonna move the couch outta the way and have the sub on the floor. But that would mess up the room layout. Maybe I'll just try the sub on the couch, and take measurements where the sub is gonna go. Then when I'll actually move the sub there and see how similar the tests are.

·
Super Moderator
9,271 Posts

Well, the idea was to put the sub at the listening position and then crawl around the room looking for the place where the bass sounded the best. The crawling was necessary over say, walking around the room, because the subwoofer would end up sitting on the floor.

The "new and improved" version of the crawl test ("improved' because it's much more accurate) would be to use REW to take measurements at any potential subwoofer locations.

Regards,
Wayne

1 - 14 of 14 Posts