Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

This is my first thread, and I apologize if I have tested incorrectly. (I have spent the last 8 hours attempting to decipher REW and results..)

test 1 spl.jpg
test 1 water.jpg

And here is my test data just in case! :)
View attachment Test data.mdat

Let me know if there are any issues with the files.

I have tried drawing conclusions from this stuff, the waterfall graph seems easier to interpret looks like my low end is abysmal and at 600hz there is also modal ringing.

If you have a chance to have a look I would be very grateful!

·
Super Moderator
1,921 Posts
It looks believable. What mic are you using, I don't see a cal file in your data? Without a calibrated measurement device you'll have to take the readings with a big grain of salt. Bass doesn't look very strong and the 600 Hz looks more like interference than ringing to me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Using Behringer ECM8000 into FMR audio RNP into MOTU 828MkIII
The Speakers are Yammy HS80M

Argh, I thought I had done the calibration :s
When doing the calibration should I hear any sound? Maybe I did it incorrectly.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Is this one channel measured, or more than one?

Measure one at a time for 20-20k. When looking at sub frequencies, run everything.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I measured through both speakers at once with the mic in the center of my mixing position at ear level. So I should be testing one speaker at a time and then both for looking at sub freq?

P.s thankyou to everyone who has replied so far!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I measured through both speakers at once with the mic in the center of my mixing position at ear level. So you i should be testing one speaker at a time and the both for looking at sub freq?

P.s thankyou to everyone who has replied so far!
Measuring both main channels at once will cause high frequency cancellation. Measure the left and right mains separately and notice the high end FR change.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Measuring both main channels at once will cause high frequency cancellation. Measure the left and right mains separately and notice the high end FR change.
If I have high end freq cancellation can that be corrected with better speaker placement? Or is this issue part and parcel of listening in stereo?

I understand that when trying to gauge the room I would want no freq cancellation, that makes sense!

·
Registered
99 Posts
If I have high end freq cancellation can that be corrected with better speaker placement? Or is this issue part and parcel of listening in stereo?

I understand that when trying to gauge the room I would want no freq cancellation, that makes sense!
This issue isnt a factor in actual listening, only when measuring. You have 2 ears, the mic has only one :)

·
Super Moderator
9,252 Posts
…at 600hz there is also modal ringing.
That’s not ringing. Notice that the low-level signal there is not decaying (fading away), it’s staying at a steady level. That means it’s some kind of background noise in the room, not anything that was generated by your speaker. Looks like you have something similar going on in the 70-100 Hz range as well.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey everyone,

So I took your advice and measured left then right and then both for the waterfall.

I had a look at the room correction on my speakers and moved that to flat. When I did that that wierd stuff that was happening at 600 disappeared. Coincidence?

For some further context,

My room is L14ft W11ft and H10ft
Speakers are .38 the long wall from the short wall.

here is both speakers waterfall
both spker waterfall.jpg

Here is L R Overlay
rl br.jpg

What does everyone think? Is this good or bad? where could it improve: my goal is as flat as possible.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts