Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
So for me if I were able to, I would add even more treatment
hehe, I don't know if you've ever stood in a real anechoic chamber before (not many get the chance), but it's quite the experience. If you and I stood and talked to each other in the chamber, face to face, you would hear me. If I turned my head and spoke away from you, you would not. Is this the end game you're searching to achieve? hehehe - just kidding of course, but it shows the extreme end.

brucek

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Hi Bruce, Hey thats not funny!:rofl2: Really, don't scare people off to this thinking that this is what it will do. Even though you and I know its not true. I dont think it is possible to over damp/deaden/kill the room this way. Ethan is correct the more the better and even when you think that the room is fully treated, as I was just looking at mine, its not even close to 75% treated. But this is where I am STOPPING! :bigsmile::yay:

I love the smiles now that I figured out how to apply them!:neener:

Here is a new RT60 taken with the additional traps and some placement changes. Looks good! I only have two high freq panel traps to go!:jump::clap:

Will post new photos of EVERYTHING soon!

Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Hi Atle, I have been playing with my subs location and seating location, I have noticed that what is nice, and one of the benefits of bass trapping, is that seating position is not as critical as it one was. Of course moving around the room, the sound is more even throughout the room. And it is nice to not have to "choose your poison" in regards to seating location. By that I mean, previously when listening with large peaks/dips, moving the seat back and forth as you go through the nulls/peaks, you made a choice does it sound better sitting in the peak or the null?! I always felt like I was "robbing Peter to pay Paul".
I discovered that is what made listening to different music/albums so problamatic. I mean why did some albums sound so bass heavy and others so thin? And which do you adjust your system for? Its all so obvious now! :T Now I can move my seat forward/backward (within a range where it always sounded good, this range is about two feet in my room, further forward than that and I am in the middle of the room and further back than that and the imaging goes away) but having smoothed the freq response and not having to worry if I am in a peak/null, I can concentrate on things like imaging and the music.

Not much rattles in my room, a few thing but never intrusive. This appears to be something else that bass trapping did, I remember before treatment that the whole barn would shake:hsd:, it was impressive but thinking back now, it just was not right. There was a resonance and the whole barn/music would sound like woouu, woouu, woouu. That I am sure that went away as my waterfall improved. Ahh knowledge and maturity:bigsmile:

Bob

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Well, that makes sense in as 'transparent' a room as yours. If you were outside there would be no room nodes to worry about, and as you keep adding traps the problems will eventually go away. I have found my sweetspot as well. Good balance between maging and response. A little EQ goes a long way to cure the problems down low.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Hello everyone, I have been listening to my system and recently changed the crosssover point to 85hz from 120hz. I believe this is the right direction. But this is not what I am writing about.

Last night I had an realization of what bass traps sound like. Your speakers sound like headphones, it sounds like you are listening to a pair of headphones. This is a good thing, as you start improving your in room freq responses, which improves detail by eliminating peakes which obscure other freq and callls attentiont to themselves and by bringing up the nulls which bring up the musical detail making your system sound more musical and real. And more importantly the acoustic problems that mask imaging and detail. Only then do you hear your speakers, and I like the sound of my speakers :jump:.

You start to get that great direct/connected sound that headphones give you, but it is large and coming from in front of you with the associated room vibes that can make a system visceral. Its cool.

And as I said in a previous post even my little boom box gets the same benefits though limited in its abilities to make it sound like something that you would want to listen to.

Disclaimer! This is not to say/imply that I have a perfectly treated room! Or a great sounding system, and I am sure a bunch of people would hate the way it sounds, thats just the way it goes.

I will continue to work on the acoustic treatments as I am sure there are more benefits to be gotten by continued tweaking and improving my room treatments.

Sorry for the disclaimer. You have to say things like that in other forums or they tear you apart, though I know we are much more mature here.:T

I will add pictures soon. Thanks again for this great site.
There had ought to be a smilie for "blowing hot air".
Bob

41 - 46 of 46 Posts