Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
It compared very favorably, but its an apples to oranges comparison.

Its a larger driver with significantly less inductance. Would I switch my TC-2k from LLT to sealed now? I don't think so. Would I bother putting the Maelstrom in an LLT configuration? Definitely not.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I wonder if it would be even more impressive with an LT incorporated.
I see no reason to believe that it wouldn't be more impressive. On the list is a device like a DEQ.

So far it seems like there is still some headroom. Movies can be turned pretty high and the driver appears to have a good bit of travel left in it. For a room of similar size or less (3000ft^3) a pair of these +LT (or similar EQ) would be enough for most people.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Just did a new REW measurement with the cal files applied. This sub with no EQ is flat to 20Hz.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
At the seat, of course. Since I have no EQ, the close-mic measurement follows the simulation pretty well.

I'll try to post one at some point.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I think a single one would do me quite nicely. It kind of reminds me of one of my favourite "dream subs" of a long time ago, the Bag End Infrasub 18. A hardcore sealed cube that made claims to extend down to 8Hz, which blew my mind at the time. I'm sure things have only gotten better since then.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Yeah, I feel that this one is probably enough. Its merely a matter of how much high output extension do you want. The more you add, the lower you can go with the same SPL. One could certainly EQ even a single 18 to 8Hz in-room...

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm trying to recall the sale price of these Maelstrom's awhile back. Some crazy price.. Anyone remember?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Here are some impressions from movies: AMAZING.

With my bridged XS900 (over 2000W) hooked up, calibrated...this sub is reallllly great. The effects sound so tight, deep, percussive. This is with Master&Commander, Incredibles, Titan AE...all of them.

Seriously, two of these + two EP2500s (or better) + DEQ would set almost anyone up.
Music to my ears! Nice build Will, thanks for sharing.. I'm glad you decided to do this with such a good driver and experience what sealed has to offer even though you already have great bass! If you incorporated the DEQ, or say a mono BASSIS, I believe you would be even more wow'd. I never will forget the first time I dialed in the BASSIS with some help. I did notice your descriptive "percussive" and smiled relating to my own past impressions.

Anyway your Thread helped contribute in deciding to go with a couple Mae-X myself. My room is only 1800 cf and a dedicated sealed at that. Two with my BASSIS ought to be incredible! Need to figure out a better amp though. Oh! and get Kevin to ship me a couple of those bad-boys. For the fun of it, I might drop one in a LLT since I have a stack of sono. I dunno?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hello,

I was wondering what type of retail sub this would compare to if used with an EP2500? I am trying to plan out which sub I will get in the future (which may be some time). I was originally considering a SVS PB12-NSD or an Outla LMF-EX. I think that these would be adequate for me.

However after reading about this sub and going DIY route I am considering it.

A SVS PB12-NSD comes out to roughly $725 shipped to Hawaii, while I could build this sub with an EP2500 for roughly $825 total including shipping of all the parts.

So for $100 more I could get ALOT more sub and rule out yearning for an upgrade...

·
Registered
32 Posts
A quick question for you (or NEO-Dan). I am building myself a sub using this design and was wondering if you used any fill and if so, what type and %.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the inspiration guys.

I will be building my twin cubes of pleasure next week!
I have the drivers. Just waiting on the S-Convert & Behringer EP4000's!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am with you there on that Corock.
Red wine color goes well in that room! :T

21 - 40 of 45 Posts