Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #63 (Edited)
Maybe I could fix that problem with the 4ohm mains from Crystal Audio. :scratch:

center channel.jpg

left and right.jpg

2008-03-27_083434.jpg

For entertainment value... these were my calculations for the room modes and my..:heehee:.. Hellmholtz Resonator (or whatever it may be) done without any Exel or person with Exel to do the calculations. :doh: It is that large peak that can be seen on the waterfall above. I think that REW is quite cabable of seeing a resonance in a room. It isn't completely filled with insualtion yet... Thought it might be interesting to note that here since I saw a thread about finding a room resonance. I would not know the difference however if I had not done the calculations etc, but REW does see it.

Edit: Not sure about the damping factor. My amp specs say 200 at 8ohm. EIA dynamic power is 270W at 4ohm.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I tried setting everything in DVE on the limited bandwidth pink noise to 65dB in effect turning down the sub from 71dB reference to the 65dB area, close to where the THX setting is at 64dB, whatever that might be indicating. The problem I have is that turning up the subwoofer makes all kinds of new sounds that would otherwise not be obvious, and makes those with the mains that are obvious less obtrusive, more clean. I choose not to turn up the volume last night becauase with the movie I was watching "the island" it was just to loud! Turning up the volume on the subwoofer isn't going to hurt anything that I am aware of. In fact, before my AVR quite working, it wanted me to turn up the volume on the back to around 85% before the auto-setup would even give me the time of day. Isn't that some kind of indication that maybe the room needs the subwoofer turned up? The max SPL I got playing around the other night with the subwoofer turned up was 99dB. I didn't watch the movie like that but I did some quick testing with a movie.

Are you suggesting that I should not get new speakers for the theater, another kind perhaps, or just turn down the subwoofer volume?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
I'm sorry I'm kind of getting confussed about the setting of the target. Yes I turn down the subwoofer.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
I did also look at the Polk line of surrounds and other center channels. I even asked about adding some to my current speakers for a set of 3 HT systems in a thread. :bigsmile: I asked about crossovers, matching the speakers I have with new ones etc. Nobody has ever offered me any advise for speakers before, with the exception of subwoofers. I might call Polk and see what the would recommend. It has been on my list of things to do actually.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
I bridged my front left and right speakers with my other mono amps. That is 360W on a 250W speaker but I have done this before without problems. I used the same matching cables and wire to do so as I use for the other channels with the exception that I am running a longer one for the center channel. The speakers are still set to small. I aimed my left and right forward as Polk recommends and I tilted the center channel upwards more. I moved my rear speakers to the corners so that the bass traps are behind them.

Regarding the power on the left and right speakers, is it safe to take measurements in REW with them like this? Is there any risk?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
The new pre/pro I think I will be getting has a left and right subwoofer output. The manufactor of the subwoofer recommends I place it beside the couch. I mentioned before that I had the smoothest response there. Here are some meaurements I have with the subwoofer on the right side of the room and the left. The driver is facing the rear wall. I would be interested in doing this because I could place my other two tower speakers on the subwoofers and they would be near the same height as the ones in the rear. I don't have much use for the other two tower speakers because my television doesn't sound very good with the other amplifier and music does not sound that great in the other room. Tell me what you think about adding a second subwoofer like this.

Right side filter

Left side same filter

right side waterfall

left side waterfall

measured and predicted right side

P.S. I have a better paying job now than last summer. :jiggy:

61 - 69 of 69 Posts