Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, my room is fairly small and one that i would consider acoustically challenging but I guess that makes learning even more fun.:crying:

DIY panels and some locally acquired absorbers I used for room treatment...

I decided to try the unorthodox 3-center channels paired with my HK PA2000 4 channel amp. Since my left and right mains (Jbl xpl200) were spaced far enough, I was surprised that the center-left-right channel separation was still well within normal range.

HK PA2000 amp for my 3 channel center...

HT front main (jbl xpl200)...for music, Magnepan MMG

HT sub amp...

HT fronts/surrounds amp...

Amp driving the maggies...

Speaker wires and interconnects...

Other accessories for movies and audio...

My favorite chair...and cup holders...

Thanks for viewing.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
That doesn't look all that simple to me... very nice!

I have yet to hear Maggies... and hope to one day hear them.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I agree, thats no simple setup. The acoustic treatments make the room look like a very serious place to watch a film to me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That doesn't look all that simple to me... very nice!

I have yet to hear Maggies... and hope to one day hear them.
Thanks Sonnie.

I would invite you to listen to this planar but you'd have to travel halfway around the world. hahaha.

I meant simple compared to the dream theaters I've seen here at the shack. I am getting more ideas from the gallery. Now, I am really excited to continue my DIY acoustic panels.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree, thats no simple setup. The acoustic treatments make the room look like a very serious place to watch a film to me.
I've read that smaller rooms are better off almost "dead" when it comes to acoustic treatment.

Ever since I installed those panels, the movies became more enjoyable indeed.

I wish I had dual subs like yours...nice!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very impressive!.:T
Thanks Prof. I'm hoping that someday I can have a "real" home theater. My current room, because of its size is not ideal for a projector. This would mean that I will have to build an extra room so this might take a while...

I agree with you. HT is a never ending story. :T:crying:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's quite a variety of gear!! and some very nice interconnects :bigsmile:
Did you use silver wire in your DIY cables?
A couple were silver signatures i got from a friend who is very much into diy's. He even experimented with filling up the hospital grade tube of the diy cable with coconut oil which according to him filters some unwanted noise. I'm not sure how much of this is true but i thought it was very interesting. :eek:

·
Banned
440 Posts
Wow :Tvery nice and JBL as well the best of the best JBL was made for movie soundtracks right back as far as 1927.

I see they are the HT-1F.

I have only but x1 JBL HT-1F that I picked up second hand too bad the Hi-Fi home cinema store only had two. The other one got sold off to someone else a few weeks later, this was years ago.

It’s nice to see that they fit in nicely in your room.

JBL XPL200 those are from the 1980’s late 80’s if not too mistaken.

The JBL HT looks like the markI model that was produced early 1993 I think and for the markII a few years later where the subs had wagde angle for corner placement.

I use JBL Control 5 and 1 series myself as the room is small, being using JBL for 20 years now, well 19 years 2010 summertime will mark my 20th year using JBL.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Coconut oil!!!!!..:yikes:..Now I've heard everything!! :whistling:
That's virgin coconut oil to be more accurate...hahaha. Yup, just when you thought you got everything covered...i'm not sure where this idea originated from but i guess there is some truth to it since they held numerous auditions using various "branded" interconnects and convinced themselves that the system delivered better clarity using this oil filled tube.

I used this cable in my 2 channel stereo and well, i can't really tell the difference. :foottap:
A microphone/REW might be a better judge...i have not tried it yet but sure is tempting.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow :Tvery nice and JBL as well the best of the best JBL was made for movie soundtracks right back as far as 1927.

I see they are the HT-1F.

I have only but x1 JBL HT-1F that I picked up second hand too bad the Hi-Fi home cinema store only had two. The other one got sold off to someone else a few weeks later, this was years ago.

It’s nice to see that they fit in nicely in your room.

JBL XPL200 those are from the 1980’s late 80’s if not too mistaken.

The JBL HT looks like the markI model that was produced early 1993 I think and for the markII a few years later where the subs had wagde angle for corner placement.

I use JBL Control 5 and 1 series myself as the room is small, being using JBL for 20 years now, well 19 years 2010 summertime will mark my 20th year using JBL.
Thanks Andy. It's nice to meet another lansing fan. I tried other speakers in the past and for some reason, my ears just got used to the ht sound of jbl's...and so now, i'm happily stuck with it.

I also used the control series a while back together with the htif...as a matter of fact, i even had the control sub and a diy enclosure with a jbl 2242 driver.

Here's an archived pic of my previous jbl driver...

Can't complain about the xpl200's...they are still one of my jbl favorites.

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
That's virgin coconut oil to be more accurate...hahaha. Yup, just when you thought you got everything covered...i'm not sure where this idea originated from but i guess there is some truth to it since they held numerous auditions using various "branded" interconnects and convinced themselves that the system delivered better clarity using this oil filled tube.

I used this cable in my 2 channel stereo and well, i can't really tell the difference. :foottap:
A microphone/REW might be a better judge...i have not tried it yet but sure is tempting.
Sounds more like "snake oil" to me!! :rofl:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Updates:

1) New stands for my Monitor Audio RS1
2) Finally acquired a full hd projector (Epson 8350) and DIY screen

·
Registered
74 Posts
Great room!! I always love seeing anyone using Monitor Audio speakers. I use them in my room and I love the sound. The new stands are very nice. And an Epson, great choice. Again lovely room, jealous of the tube amp.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts