Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys!

This is my setup.
Harman Kardon AVR 254
Yamaha 10 in powered Sub
Yamaha in ceiling rear speakers
Front and Center Channel using Onkyo 5.1 system speakers that came HTIB. They are small speakers.

How much am I hurting my Home Theater experience with these as my front and center speakers?

I was thinking of getting some Yamaha Floorstanding speakers. I don't want to spend too much (less than 500) for something better. Any ideas?

I mean I got this great new receiver but still using these speakers.

Unless these onkyo speakers aren't bad afterall. Let me know!
Thanks to all!

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
Of course, the best speakers are the ones you like. There are several speakers out there (SVSound, among others) that will most likely sound better than HTIB speakers. You should get some time listening to better speakers at different stores in your area. Have fun. Dennis

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
The key thing is to have the front three speakers (L,C,R) of the same brand and preferably the same line.
How large is the room you have this system in?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
15X10 or so. Its a second bedroom converted to my video game/cinema room.
The L/C/R are matched all onkyo htib speakers.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
You would probably notice a difference if you got something better, However i would not call Yamaha speakers much better.
The SVSound speakers seen here would be a huge step up from what you have and within your budget.
You could also use a better sub but for now I would concentrate on your fronts.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
As Dennis points out, the best speakers for you are the ones that you like. The SVS is a good suggestion, but don't count out Yamaha either. If you like the sound of your current Yamaha speakers you may find you like the NS-333 for a bookshelf, the NS-555 for towers or NS-C444 for center channel duties. Many people find the Yamaha's to be clear, crisp, and pleasant to listen to and not too hard on the budget, though the Yamaha towers will likely blow your budget unless you find a deal on them.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
There an average bookshelf sized speaker. 12" x 7" x 9.5" and yes I would say a big difference in clarity.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another problem I am having is the placement of my center channel speaker. I have the speaker right now on top of my AVR. Its a small center channel and is not covering much of the top of the receiver at all. How large are these center channel speakers? Because I've seen some HUGE ones. Way to big for my application.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
the svs center channel is 7" x 20" x 8.5".
Do you space to go higher above the receiver? you could use some blocks or foam peices under the sides to raise the center channel about 3" leaving the space needed for air movement.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm looking online at teh SVS and the Yamaha. Is it worth the extra 100 dollars or so for the 2 bookshelf SVS with center channel or the yamaha?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
There are several people on this forum who have the SVS speakers and all of them are very happy with them I would bet to say the they are well worth the extra $100

·
Registered
36 Posts
This may get me yelled at, but i'm skeptical of svs speakers. It's true i haven't heard them, but I find it unusual that speakers that are so superb (if you look around on these forums, you'll see everyone says they're amazing) are not far more popular than they are. From the acclaim that i hear here, it seems everyone in the world should have them, esp. since they're reasonably priced (like 500$). Anyways, i would say your best bet if you were serious about the upgrade would be to wait on these, save up some money and buy some better speakers. There are a variety of brands, but I think you'll greatly appreciate the huge step-up. Anyways, just my two cents.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey tony, I don't think that these center channel speakers are going to fit where I have my receiver. Is there anything smaller that will do the trick? Thanks for the newb info

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
It depends on what you want. I'd definitely say you'll want to get the front three to match. As for the $100 difference,... the Yamaha towers are priced per speaker, not per pair. So you'd be looking at about $650 vs. $410 plus shipping for the SVS. The Yamaha bookshelf's are per pair, so that set you'd be looking at $348.

As for whether or not one is "worth it" over the other,.... well, only you can decide that :bigsmile:. It's very seldom you hear anything negative about SVS. My preference would be for towers and at your budget I'd probably be looking at this Energy C-300 5.0 or Energy C-300 5.1 package set right now.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
This may get me yelled at, but i'm skeptical of svs speakers. It's true i haven't heard them, but I find it unusual that speakers that are so superb (if you look around on these forums, you'll see everyone says they're amazing) are not far more popular than they are. From the acclaim that i hear here, it seems everyone in the world should have them, esp. since they're reasonably priced (like 500$).
Understandable, I think you forget that there are alot of fantastic quality speakers and A/V equipment manufacturers that only sell on line. Yes, this limits there exposure but that does not make them unreliable or poor quality. I personally own there best subwoofer they make and it blows away anything I have heard in any local store for anywhere close to the price.
Hey tony, I don't think that these center channel speakers are going to fit where I have my receiver. Is there anything smaller that will do the trick? Thanks for the newb info
The problem with going smaller is that you loose the dynamics that a lager enclosure gives you. Could you place the center channel above the display?

·
Registered
36 Posts
The problem with going smaller is that you loose the dynamics that a lager enclosure gives you. Could you place the center channel above the display?
I agree with this statement. I think there is always a way with rearranging to fit everything. The larger enclosures will give you a much better range.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Have you considered a center speaker stand? Is it possible to place it above / on top of the TV, or perhaps placing it on a small CRT TV wall mount like this ? or if you have a wall mounted LCD/Plasma something like this ?

There are many options out there for most any situation.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The issue that I am having is I already have the rear speakers in my ceiling. Yamaha's. So all I need is the two front and a new center channel. However, I can't get a center that is very big as I dont have the room.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
could you post a picture of your setup to help us come up with something that will work?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts